Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Compressed terrain -> GPU

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve heard that the amount of data passed to the graphics card makes a big difference to performance. My terrain naturally compresses very well: it''s a grid so the x&y coords are easily derived, I use a 16bit height value and an 8bit lightmap value. So I store at 4bytes per vertex. Expanding to a normal FVF requires 24bytes with what I use, which for a map with millions of points makes a big difference! However on non-shader cards the simple multiplication etc ops to convert to FVF format is a big CPU drain. Can I make my FVF just store say the DIFFUSE colour, which is packed with my custom format? Then I could use a vertex shader to do all this on the GPU, right. The thing is if I did, I''d want to use the vertex shader on non-shader cards in software. Would the shader mean more work gets done, thus slowing things up? I mean on the CPU I can guarantee each vertex gets generated only once but the shader will do it each time it gets the vertex? Index buffers don''t eliminate the problem as I may share a vertex across more than one call to DrawPrimitive. So any advice? I know it''d be faster on shader-equipped cards but they''re so quick anyway! My low-spec is something like a TNT or Voodoo3. Oh one other thing, how do I know where to put V-shader outputs to be used by the default pixel-shader on non-shader cards?
Read about my game, project #1 NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3
John 3:16