Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Splashscreens - what size image should I use?

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I am looking to make a splashscreen for my project to give users something to look at other than a white screen while my program loads textures, etc. I was wondering what the best size image I should use for a fullscreen splashscreen? The project can run from 640*480 to 1600*1200. I asked one of the Black Robes why the Deceiver wasn''t going to stay to defend the dam, and he tersely replied: "He goes to warn the Emperor; moving through odd angles, faster than any man, and if unobserved, much faster than that." Elemental Engine: ryan_lurvey.tripod.com/engine.html

A good idea for a splashscreen is to use a metafile (.wmf or .emf) as they look the same at any resolution. The other option is to display a splash screen as a bitmap at any resolution under 640 by 480 (allow for taskbar) on a standard form/dialog with no titlebar/border, and then load as much as possible before switching to full screen. My final idea is create a 640 by 480 bitmap, and first switch to 640 by 480, display that, load everything and then switch to whatever.

--Thomas McCorkell

Just what is Karma? Is it a way to rate people? A way of assigning privilege levels? Or is karma just an anti-spam system?

Guest Anonymous Poster
why can''t you just stretch the image to fit the resolution?

Just a note, if you''re drawing onto a quad. Make sure you stay to a power-of-two-square.

128 is a bit small
256 is alright
512 is good, but not supported on some cards
1024 is a little big.

I would tend to make the splash screen out of several quads.
2 squares side by side makes for a nice "widescreen" effect.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]