Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frame work poll

This topic is 5574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

just a quick ?. How many of you use the directdraw and/ or D3D framworks provided with the sdk ( meaning ddutil and D3Dutil (?) )? i am thinking of using them for my next project and am wondering everyones opinion on this.

I tried them when I first learned DirectDraw. Since then I gradually replaced it with my own code. I really hate not knowing or don''t have control of what happens in my program. It is not much work to do this and you''ll feel better when you have your own code. Those "frameworks" are (as I figure) mostly for kids to have an easy start, but nothing to use in a real game.

I''ve always started right from the beginning, that is, reading tutorials from other people, getting the hang of it and then referencing the tut and the docco whenver I need a little "push". It helps those on strict timelines, but teaches you nothing about framework, it also might include a lot of stuff which you will never need at all. That and, I don''t like the framework code.

I went to a great deal of trouble to make a framework for DX7 (device selection/enumeration, sound set-up, controller enumeration etc etc) and I learned a lot in the process, but now I prefer to use the sample framework. I have a reasonable knowledge of DX, Win32/MFC and C++, so there''s nothing in the framework that I don''t understand. Also, my game project is not entirely dependent on the framework itself, it merely makes use of the devices and interfaces it provides. By far the best thing about the framework is the Direct Input action mapping; a full fledged controller configuration menu for free!

- Matt

Help me!

I would code your own framework up and use that -- even if it means typing the entire dx framework by hand. It''s so much easier to understand that way. I was using a framework someone gave to me and it got too confusing so I rewrote it by hand and used most of what I already had and ended up with a nice piece of software that I understood very well.

I was considering using the font stuff included in some of the demos (because I don''t feel like writing my own :D ) but the rest of the stuff I don''t care for at all.

I am just learning DX and have found the framework invaluable. It has allowed me to get something up on the screen in very little time - a great motivator. Granted, I am slowly replacing some of the code as I need/learn extra things, but all in all it has provided a solid base to build on. I''d say the abstraction from enumerating devices alone makes it a worthwhile place to start! Check out what it provides and if it''s what you want, go for it. In the very least it will show you what you need to consider for your own project.
Crow.

I started learning it, but when I got to writing my own game, it just got in my way. There was a lot of stuff I just didn''t need/didn''t want, so I made my own framework. I find mine much easier to use and I know everything that is going on.