Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using DX7 stuff under 8.1

This topic is 5574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can we use DirectX7 functions and its stuff under Dx8 ?? Cuz i bought a book (Isometric Game programming with dx7) but i have VC 6.0 + DX8.1, can i run the examples of the book with the dx8.1 library or do i have to re-install dx7.0 + vc 5.0 ??? Thanks u very much !! Statik---

Since you have the book and code, it seems the easiest way to answer the question would be to try it out.

As far as I know, the answer is yes, but I''ve never done this...I would rather update the code, than use the older version of DirectX.

VS.NET automatically converts VS6 projects, so I assume VC6 would do the same for VS5, but if not, it would be easy enough make new projects.

you can, but be careful of some of the header files. They have different headers for dx7.

i suggest you copy the dx7 sdk header and lib files. The runtime is ok...its fully backwards compatible

actually LaMothe''s says that you can go into the ddraw.h file and change the hex number so you can use Dx version of preference.

i believe it looks something like 0x8000 or something like that. you change it to 0x7000.

i don''t remember exactly.
correct if wrong, fill in blank if not complete.