Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multipass texture blending

This topic is 5577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I use multipass texture blending as described in the DirectX SDK documentation it works fine, but only when I use 16bit Z-buffer depth. When I use 32 bit Z-buffer depth, there are always a few pixels where the texture rendered in the first pass appear, without the belended second pass. My card is a Geforce2 MX. Has anybody similar problems? Is it perhaps a general video card problem (with Geforce2 MX)??

You are right, I do not set the Z bias, but the documentation does not mention that as a necessary thing. When I render the same triangles in the second pass the calculated pixels should have the same Z value as the pixels in the first pass, and so the second pass should be blended right with the default D3DRS_ZFUNC state. Am I right?

yes, but you should set the D3DRS_ZBIAS value to 1,2,3,4 etc..

your 32Z is higher resolution than your 16Z, thus more errors can occur. Z bias should solve this. You''ll probably find that any card supporting 32Z will have a similar problem.

Jack;

DirectX 4 VB: All you need for multimedia programming in Visual Basic
Formula 1 Championship Manager, My Game Project.