Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbie DX question

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m wondering if this would work: I''m slowly ramping up to develop a 3D adventure type game...however, I''m planning on useing something like cell-shaded graphics. This would involve custom software rendering as I''m not pleased with the resaults so far that I have seen implamented in D3D. My plan, so far, is to use Direct Draw...create a surface in system memory...render to it...then blit the image to video memory....this I believe would work What I am concerned about is what are the resolution limits of 8-bit color graphics under DX? ... I plan on useing 8-bit(256) graphics because the resulting image size in memory can be small enough (memory wise) to blit to video memory at a fairly quick pace (8-bit at 640 * 480 = 300k verses 1.17Meg for 32-bit color )...and secondly because it is cell shadeing after all, where even 16-bit color can be considered overkill...beside carefull palette manipulation can disguise things a bit, and software rendering allows me to take more control over the way the game will look.... So I''m wondering how DX handles 8-bit color in screen modes larger then 640 X 480? Can I convert a 640*480 8-bit image into a 800 * 600 16 bit image in video memory (and gain a bit of anti-aliasing in the process of transfering it to the screen)?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have you thought about learning and writing your own pixel shaders? There should be some cel-shading examples you can fine tune to your needs...goto developer.nvidia.com and see if they have anything descent.

pixel shaders?

What are they? I''m not able to keep up with the graphics scene as I once did...I assume it is some special feature of newer graphics cards...or is it something new in D3D?

I''m mostly concerned about my game being able to run on as many PCs as possable...even ones without 3D acceleration hardware...I''m aiming this to be a shareware type game (small file down load size that is modem user friendly) for the casual gamer market.