Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.NET Framework

This topic is 5578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in what others think of the .NET framework. I only reciently (the last year or so) started getting into programming and am trying to learn many different aspects of it at once (VB, C++, DirectX, COM, etc.). I recently accuired a copy of Visual Studio .NET and after importing a VB 6 project got a list of errors in converting to the new framework of Visual Basic .NET about as long as the code itself. So I picked up a book and after a few pages I realized that the .NET framework is not an evolutionary step in the programming feild but rather, allthough benifical, a mutilation of the way it is/was. So I guess my main question is should I be learnig the new framework and stop my current methods or continue on my current path? Will the aspects implimented in this stick around and filter themselves throughout the gaming industry and software development fields? The idealology behind what I have read seems to offer many benifits. Also I have heard that Microsoft is working with other software companies to see this is the way in which programming develops in the future. Any comments suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

This "mutilation" of programming is not new. It started with object-oriented languages and culminated (so far) with Java and C++, from which .NET borrows much from. I love .NET so far though I''m starting to see a few inconsistencies or "issues". The framework is "new" so I''m sure it will mature in time.

quote:
Original post by McCoy
So I picked up a book and after a few pages I realized that the .NET framework is not an evolutionary step in the programming feild but rather

Some people have described it as an evolutionary step rather than revolutionary. Maybe thats what you meant?

When I look upon seamen, men of physical science, and philosophers, man is the wisest of all beings. When I look upon priests, prophets, and interpreters of dreams, nothing is so contemptible as man.

Diogenes

I''ve been playing with .Net some on the C# side and so far I''m very impressed. For programming as a whole I think, imho, it will have a very large presence in future. I''ve been researching pretty heavily but I currently do business programming so its more essential in my area. I''m not sure how it will pan out for games. I think MS is offering C# support directly in DirextX 9 (though in theory one could intergrate with Dx8 through COM).

Sieggy