Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Beginners: Read This

This topic is 5568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i''ve noticed a trend for everyone new here to ask the same questions over and over, and typically coming up with the same problems along the way. I''ve done this only one or two times before, and usualy only for one or two people that specificaly requested help. Over the next few months, im going to hold a sort of "unofficial" free course in c++ and game programming by email and IM, starting with basic c++, ending up with a complete game. Ill show whoever wants to learn STEP BY STEP, first making simple programs, later up to a complete side scroller. now, though i want to help out, i have no intention on wasting my time with people who arn''t serious about this, so 1) please dont ask for my help if you arnt serious and 2) if you are serious, please reply to this thread with your email, the IM program you use w/ you username/number(for icq) and also 3) please tell me WHY you want to program games. (curiosity, and to halp people get the right mindset, if your in it for the money, this isnt for you)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you going to be talking directly to the people who want to learn or are you just going to post tutorials and let them ask you questions if they don''t understand some of hte stuff?

Raptor85, that''s very noble enterprise you''re undertaking, but be aware of the potential logistical horrors. Are you going to interact with all "participants" one-on-one? You''ll die of Carpal Tunnel. IRC is a much better avenue than IM because it is allows for many-to-many conversation. You could organize an IRC channel such that you moderate all questions (askers could email you ahead of time), repeat them for public benefit and then deconstruct and respond to the problem.

Truth is, there''s a search tool (or you could use Google''s advanced search to only query GameDev), there are a ton of articles, tutorials and other resources both here and on the net, and you have better things to do with your time. Give it up and give yourself time and room to grow.

Cyberconvict@hotmail.com AIM Cyberconvict, Yahoo IM Cyberconvict2002, ICQ 166578187 I would like to program games because I love to play games. I also would like to learn how the development process goes. I do better being able to ask people questions than reading a book.

good point, i like the IRC idea though, maybe ill just reduce it to something more on the line of discussions, maybe ill do one a week, and anyone who feels like following them can benefit (ill save the log of course) Of course, also, i will include the emails, and format it, then post it for use of anyone who couldnt catch it, but i think it would be good to have this at least once, see if it cant clear up some of this confusion, and help a few people out.

as for the carpal tunnel thing, i type hours a day anyways, and i have a gel pad to rest my wrists on

Ok, the first day will be either friday or saturday night, the topic will be a broad introduction, no C++ for the first one, just explainations and common mistakes. (questions like, "what is an engine", ones like that that come up so often)

of course, still leave your emails here, and make sure to email me before friday on any questions you have, and join in the chat.

i dont have a time set, but probably around 9pm friday or saturday, any question you have is welcom, the channel will be #gamedev101 on IRC.afternet.org (so people can join in from the java client if they dont have MIRC)

ah, if you email me, make sure the word "gamedev" is in the subject line, it helps by sorting out anything gamedev related to a certain folder, and keep my inbox nice and clean.

how about a better idea
if you notice on the forum a guy named Teej has done the same thing with tetris.
(unfortunately no one ever seems to notice it)
why don''t you do something similar or email him and start the second project he was planning with him?

that would be a better way to expend your resources, IMHO.

beginners starting point should be here

peace

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

because seriously, something like tetris takes 20 minutes at absolute most to do. I want a good discussion, clear up some confusion, and help people get started, not be the bringer of free source code, though that DOES have it''s place, it''s generally not a good idea for the absolute beginner.

err, let me try this

"give a man a tetris clone and he thinks he knows how to program for a day, but teach a man how to make a tetris clone.." well, never mind, you get the point.

well it''s not giving the source code exactly
plus nowadays people are in school.... so IRC chats/session are gonna be hard to do... believe me.

if you did something like Teej did, you post SOME code, go over it, and aspects of design, thought, structure as you go along.

believe me no one is asking you to plop the whole source code.... that would stupid.

but step by step process where you discuss more than just code would be better IMHO....

but anyway do as you feel best.

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

madden_blake@hotmail.com
madden_blake on MSN messenger
I''ve always loved fighting games (all types of them) since Street Fighter 2 and it is my dream to someday make a fun fighter myself as a tribute to the genre.

Blizzy

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Raptor85
because seriously, something like tetris takes 20 minutes at absolute most to do.

Yeah right you could make tetris in 20 minutes!

I''m very interested in this, my e-mail is zc3dcx@hotmail.com. The reason why I want to program games is because it''s just something I want to do. I''ve been trying to learn about opengl, directx, etc. on my own time so this tutorial you''re offering would be very helpful to me.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,
I''m interested my icq # is 143396149.
The reason I want to learn to program games is because I love games and I''ve always wanted to make my ideas come to life (in the form of a video game offcourse)

thanks

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m very interested and need some guidance to start.
AIM- Venom98335
venom98335@aol.com
I''m interested in game programming because i have played games often and i have always figured it would be a fun and physically easy job to do.

Sounds really interesting

email:johnkatsavos@rogers.com, jkatsavos@hotmail.com

I have always love playing video games (My escape from my own reality). I want to learn how they make it so I can make my own games.

[edited by - Kaver on September 11, 2002 11:06:29 AM]

b.cross7@verizon.net
Why do I want to program? I am a gamer. I want to create all the games I know would be great, because I would want to play them! I have a multitude of idea just screaming to get out of my head, and programming them myself will be the only way to get them out!!!!!1

c:/windows/aybabtu.bat

REM All your OS are belong to us!!
c:\what\you\say.txt
Move zig ..\forgreat\justice
Move everyzig

i would also be ver interested in this. please contact me. some of my oldest memories are playing and enjoying video games; i want to program to help bring that experience to other people.
icq - 158736700
aim - ninja057
msn - ninja057@msn.com
email - ninja057@mail.com

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means. Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925

I think it is wonderful that you are offering your help to so many new faces, or possible faces in gaming. I am actually in the process of making a 2D scroller right now, and I finished the particle engine for the game yesterday. It''s just too bad I didn''t know about this forum before I started at Full Sail.

og_he@k.ro
No IM .
I want to learn to make games because i want to be able to create universes from my ideas , so others can see them and "live" in them. (excuse my english , hope you get the point ...)

Just learning ...

My email is acting weird, i''ve reinstalled windows 3 times in the past few days, and my computer has the software equivlant right now of being held together by duct tape...

However, i got irc working, so the chat is still on. 8pm pacific, 11pm eastern channel #gamedev101 at irc.afternet.org (so you can use the forum''s chat if you dont have mirc.

god i hope my computer can keep together for another few days while i save my data :o Sigh, this always happens RIGHT before i start to back up my stuff, always at the end of the month.

I''d be interested, though I know I''m late
E-Mail is: ledin@anime-archiv.de
It could perhaps be a nice idea if a chat log of the evenings in IRC were accessible. In that way, everyone could go as fast as he/she wants to.
And I also don''t think that I''m able to join the IRC often, since 11 PM on the east coast means about 5 AM here in Germany