All Beginners: Read This

Started by
28 comments, last by Raptor85 21 years, 7 months ago
Ok, i''ve noticed a trend for everyone new here to ask the same questions over and over, and typically coming up with the same problems along the way. I''ve done this only one or two times before, and usualy only for one or two people that specificaly requested help. Over the next few months, im going to hold a sort of "unofficial" free course in c++ and game programming by email and IM, starting with basic c++, ending up with a complete game. Ill show whoever wants to learn STEP BY STEP, first making simple programs, later up to a complete side scroller. now, though i want to help out, i have no intention on wasting my time with people who arn''t serious about this, so 1) please dont ask for my help if you arnt serious and 2) if you are serious, please reply to this thread with your email, the IM program you use w/ you username/number(for icq) and also 3) please tell me WHY you want to program games. (curiosity, and to halp people get the right mindset, if your in it for the money, this isnt for you)
Advertisement
Are you going to be talking directly to the people who want to learn or are you just going to post tutorials and let them ask you questions if they don''t understand some of hte stuff?
Raptor85, that''s very noble enterprise you''re undertaking, but be aware of the potential logistical horrors. Are you going to interact with all "participants" one-on-one? You''ll die of Carpal Tunnel. IRC is a much better avenue than IM because it is allows for many-to-many conversation. You could organize an IRC channel such that you moderate all questions (askers could email you ahead of time), repeat them for public benefit and then deconstruct and respond to the problem.

Truth is, there''s a search tool (or you could use Google''s advanced search to only query GameDev), there are a ton of articles, tutorials and other resources both here and on the net, and you have better things to do with your time. Give it up and give yourself time and room to grow.
Cyberconvict@hotmail.com AIM Cyberconvict, Yahoo IM Cyberconvict2002, ICQ 166578187 I would like to program games because I love to play games. I also would like to learn how the development process goes. I do better being able to ask people questions than reading a book.
good point, i like the IRC idea though, maybe ill just reduce it to something more on the line of discussions, maybe ill do one a week, and anyone who feels like following them can benefit (ill save the log of course) Of course, also, i will include the emails, and format it, then post it for use of anyone who couldnt catch it, but i think it would be good to have this at least once, see if it cant clear up some of this confusion, and help a few people out.

as for the carpal tunnel thing, i type hours a day anyways, and i have a gel pad to rest my wrists on
Ok, the first day will be either friday or saturday night, the topic will be a broad introduction, no C++ for the first one, just explainations and common mistakes. (questions like, "what is an engine", ones like that that come up so often)

of course, still leave your emails here, and make sure to email me before friday on any questions you have, and join in the chat.

i dont have a time set, but probably around 9pm friday or saturday, any question you have is welcom, the channel will be #gamedev101 on IRC.afternet.org (so people can join in from the java client if they dont have MIRC)
vze28hc7@verizon.net
Why I wanna program in OpenGL ? The most interesting topics I''ve ever come across in my life was computers! Dont leave me out =)
ah, if you email me, make sure the word "gamedev" is in the subject line, it helps by sorting out anything gamedev related to a certain folder, and keep my inbox nice and clean.
how about a better idea
if you notice on the forum a guy named Teej has done the same thing with tetris.
(unfortunately no one ever seems to notice it)
why don''t you do something similar or email him and start the second project he was planning with him?

that would be a better way to expend your resources, IMHO.

beginners starting point should be here

peace

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

because seriously, something like tetris takes 20 minutes at absolute most to do. I want a good discussion, clear up some confusion, and help people get started, not be the bringer of free source code, though that DOES have it''s place, it''s generally not a good idea for the absolute beginner.

err, let me try this

"give a man a tetris clone and he thinks he knows how to program for a day, but teach a man how to make a tetris clone.." well, never mind, you get the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement