Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quaternion rotations for weighted envelopes?

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

the general problem involves using quaternions to rotate points based on a set of weights (geometric envelopes weighted to articulated chains), and the specific problem is that i''m not sure how to scale a quaternion correctly. for example, if a given joint/bone in an articualted chain is rotated by quaternion Q, then how do i rotate a point that is affected by that bone by the weighted amount (say, %50)? is it enough to multiply either the scalar part or the vector part of the quaternion by the percentage amount??? i.e. is it correct to say Q.w *= .5 or Q.xyz *= .5??? in euler-angle speak, if a joint/bone has rotations of 30 degress x, 60 degrees y, and 90 degrees z, and a point is weighted to it by %50, then it is sufficient to rotate the point around the origin of the bone by 15 degrees x, 30 degrees y, and 45 degrees z. it''s just that i don''t know how to this same thing in quaternions. can anyone help me here???

no rotation in the unit quaternion, with Q.w =0 1 and Q.xyz == 0. The usual way to achieve what you want it to blend/interpolate between this and your final/target quaternion.

There are two main ways to do this: linear and spherical-linear. Linear is just linear interpolation of the quaternion elements. E.g. if quaternion addition, multiplication etc. are defined in the obvious way the formula is

q = q0 + t (q1 - q0)

where t is the interpolation parameter. The resulting quaternion generally needs normalising after this.

Spherical linear is more usually called by its acronym ''SLERP''. It produces a more natural interpolation but is more expensive to calculate. Most quaternion libraries supply a function do it, or you can find it described in any good quaternion reference.

i have already implemented lerp and slerp and i am sure that they work fine. all the envelope points rotate correctly if they are weighted near %100 to a given joint; it is only when they are weighted at close to %50 that they go really crazy (for example, in the knees and elbows).

i use lerp and slerp to interpolate between keyframes for the joint rotations, and there are no problems there so i don't think it's my lerp/slerp implementation. the rotation of a given envelope point will always be between Q0=(1(0,0,0)) (%0) and Q1=(w(x,y,z)) (%100) where Q1 is the joint's current rotation. so, i should be able to just multiply x y and z by the weight and get the correct value, after which i normalize again. at least, i think so.

[edited by - jorgander on September 10, 2002 11:18:51 AM]