Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-open or move the abstract thread

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Just wondering why the thread about equivalence relations was closed abruptly rather than moved to the lounge... where we had lightweight topics such as "Is 0.999... equal to 1.0" open for ages. "Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

A fair question/request, . I sometimes have to make a judgement call as to whether to close a thread, move it, or keep it open. And, though I try, my judgement is not always completely consistent. I am human. If a forum member can provide me with a compelling reason to reverse a decision, I am absolutely open to doing so.

But let me explain my reasoning in this case. First, the author of the thread started off by apologizing for posting a non-game-related thread. Second, in my opinion it sounds like a homework question, which I do not approve of as mentioned in the FAQ. Third, the author did not provide any evidence/description that suggested the post was not homework. For things that are not directly related to a game project, I sort of try to require that the author make a case that the thread should be allowed. In some cases, I can tell that the author is genuinely interested in a rambling theoretical discussion and not merely a final answer. Fourth, the final post, made by the original author, suggested to me that his question was answered and he did not expect the thread to continue. The fact that the question was answered is evidence that the author was not looking for a rambling theoretical discussion.

If you would like to continue this thread in the lounge, I''d be happen to reopen it and move it to the lounge.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.