mid-range servers/computers

Started by
3 comments, last by webjunkie 21 years, 7 months ago
can anyone give me some info on this? thx.
Advertisement

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

i tried. i couldn''t really find what i was looking for. i just want some info really. like what they are n stuff i have some pictures and specs but can''t find info like a description on them.
Uhm right.... Now thats one very clear question..... Perhaps you mean "What is a server?"...

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Any computer can be a server, but the cheapest is to go mid-range. You'll at least need mid-range processing power and high system resources.

A p3 500 with 512mb RAM could run Windows 2000 server with no problems. Though why buy an expensive ($1500) server OS then use a cheap system when you can use a cheap system and a free server OS (LINUX.)

Most popular Linux distro's have a GUI too, people. I'd recommend Red Hat 7.3, which is free for download. You just need a good internet connection, CD-burning software capable of burning ISOs (just about any cd software) and a burner.

There's pretty much nothing Windows Server can do that Linux can't (Apache has an ASP module, though it's not perfect.)

Windows:
IIS web server
IIS FTP server
IIS SMTP server
NTFS file-system security

Linux:
Apache web server
WU_FTP FTP server
SendMail SMTP server
Native file-system security

I'm just saying that if you don't have the money, download Linux. If you DO have the money to blow, you oughtta get W2k Server.

But please, for goodness's sake, take the time to read these National Security Agency guides on securing Windows 2000 server.

http://roninmagus.hopto.org
acronymfinder.com - Find any acronym you need!

[edited by - Ronin Magus on September 10, 2002 7:31:24 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement