Win95 vs. Win98

Started by
22 comments, last by Ridcully 24 years ago
with w2k released, is there anybody still out there with win95? i am asking because i don''t have win95 on any testplatform and therefor don''t know if my apps will run on it smoothly. so are there still a lot of ppl with win95 out there? and what are the major differences from win95 to win98? my main problem i think will be dialog and other control handling, i think... thanks ridcully
Advertisement
I still use Win95. The differences between 95 and 98 are FAT32, Internet Explorer built into the Win98, USB support and some other minor stuff.

I've never seen a reason to upgrade to Win98. My system works fine, and I've never seen a program/game that I wanted that requires Win98. I have Win95B, which means I get FAT32, USB support and some of those things that comes with Win98. Of course, I can get Win98, but until I really _have_ to upgrade, I won't.

I think Win95 has a cleaner interface (I hate having all those Internet Explorer extras, and in Win98 there's no easy way of removing them).

But of course, Linux is way better than both Win9x

/. Muzzafarath

Edited by - Muzzafarath on 4/8/00 2:13:36 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Windows 98: multiple monitor support

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
Hmm, differences, eh? Win98 is a bit more bloated and inefficient .

IMHO, the only reason to upgrade to Win98 is the that hardware support is better.

--TheGoop

Edited by - TheGoop on 4/8/00 3:39:38 PM
Win98 is more stable on my computer.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
I agree with TheGoop. I upgraded to 98 from 95 because my graphics card wasn''t properly supported on 95, but since then I''ve had to put up with a big fat slow, inefficient and memory consuming OS. I''m actually considering switching back.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

In my experience, if you''re developing for 95/98, 95 is the way to go. A company I worked at was using 98 because the animators wanted dual monitor support, and it was pretty horrible, I had to reboot probably ten to fifteen times a day. I believe MSVC5.0/6.0 may have issues with 98, since everyone in the programming department was experiencing this.

-goltrpoat
Hey Muzzafarath,

There''s an life simulator called Framesticks, and in its page is said that it can only run in Win98...(The window version... the console version can run on win95) well, my friend has Win95 and tried to install it anyway, but he couldn''t, because "This program must run only on Microsoft Windows 98."... well, since I have Win98 (and I agree with The Goop, benjamin bunny and that anonymous above me...) , I installed it in my computer, and then gave to my friend the program files... which run PERFECTLY in his win95... strange, heh? That makes you think...

Nicodemus.
Nicodemus.----"When everything goes well, something will go wrong." - Murphy
I stuck with Win95 (b), and I think it was a good choice, Win98 is hugely inefficient, and I don''t need any of it''s so called improvements.

Win2K looks quite good (an improvement at least)

I would probably convert to Linux, but I''m learning DirectX, and it would all have been wasted time if I started using Linux

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
I''m using Win95, and I have support for USB in it. At least it says so on the CD :-)
We used Win98 at work, and we had to restart several times a day, and we were only running Frontpage and Internet Explorer.

//Rickard
Rick_Dangerous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement