Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDE for Unix

This topic is 5564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay..... A GNOME IDE and a KDE IDE. Both of which could easily blow 100 MB before half the libraries were compiled.

I think the best UNIX IDE is UNIX itself. gvim, ddd, make, ctags, cvs, and all the shell utilities (grep, sed, sh, awk, etc) do everything I''ve ever needed. Oh yeah, and then there''s Emacs but while it does have an interface for all that, I just can''t stand it.

If anyone''s ever been lost in vim before, definitely try gvim. It''s basically vim with a very nice GUI (available for Win32 too). It puts all the commands that you would need right out in the open. Emacs still has the same useless menu full of options for mail, news, and god knows what.

Anyway that''s a whole other flame war. For the programs I mentioned, gvim is a nice graphical editor, ddd is a graphical debugger, make is an easy way to compile programs, ctags helps you find functions, cvs is ummm cvs, and the shell utilities are just helpful stuff that I like to have around (I make shell scripts that create classes according to a format I give it, for example. It gets a new project moving quickly). Since I do a lot of GNOME stuff, I also have Glade (very good GUI builder) hanging around but that''s kinda secondary to mainstream IDE stuff.

Probably the best bonus out of using the above is that it can be easily transferred to anything, even Windows (using Cygwin).

PS. For alternative editors, for those wanting to avoid stupid flame wars and odd commands, try nedit, jed, and Glimmer (probably blow that 100MB but it''s very nice and intuitive).

Guest Anonymous Poster
I tried KDevelop once, and it does look a lot like VC++... but I just couldn''t stand to use it. The MDI forms clashed too much with the rest of my desktop (albeit there''s no such thing as a Linux desktop that doesn''t clash).

I''ve tried Emacs a few times, but just don''t have time to learn how to use another operating system.

Mostly I use (like Kadesh recommended) vim and other command line tools. Vim does have a steep learning curve, but once you figure it out it''s very nice... and if you don''t care to spend so much time learning it you can always try Cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/).