Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tropico engine

This topic is 5563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It uses gouraud shaded + textured triangles for the height map terrain, and all game objects are one or more sprites that are simply billboarded onto the terrain. (this becomes apparent occasionally)
For things like people entering buildings, they used multiple billboards for the building, one for the part behind the person, and one before. They didn't use a Z-buffer (and seem to have regretted that) so they just drew back-to-front.
All objects are pre-rendered in 3D Studio Max, for a target resolution of 3200x2400 (!) and scaled down to the current screen resolution, to minimize loss of detail.
There are some true 3D models though, I think it's only the ships and the planes though, can't really find anything else that's a true mesh.
They use Direct3D for hardware acceleration and have a custom-written software rasterizer for systems without a good accelerator.
By the way, it's the same engine as they used in Railroad Tycoon 2, but it "evolved", so it's pretty messy apparently...

EDIT: as far as I know, they don't use the DirectX vertex transformation pipeline, but use transformed and lit vertices.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Coming soon.

[edited by - JonnyQuest on September 11, 2002 5:18:24 AM]

quote:
Original post by LostLogic
I do wish they had used a different engine. Every time I play I keep thinking of RR Tycoon..

quote:
Original post by The Frugal Gourmet
Not me. I truly love that engine.
*sigh*

Hm, yeah, I can''t find anything wrong with the engine either. I mean, it''s a pretty nice isometric engine, nothing great, but does what it does just fine.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.