VC++ 6.0 or VC++.net?

Started by
13 comments, last by tordyvel 21 years, 7 months ago
Should I buy VC++ 6.0 or VC++.net if I want to make games? Is VC++.net just a newer version or is there something tricky about it? Is C# any good or will it never have any future in game development? Thanks!
Advertisement
If yo already know C++, then go with VC++. Of course, explore your other options as well. There are plenty of other good compilers you don''t have to shell out major cash for.
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
VC++.net is a newer version. Nothing tricky. I personally think that C# will eventually have a place in games outside of tools development, but it''s too soon to tell for sure. However, Visual C++.NET != C#. While you can write .NET programs in Visual C++.NET, it defaults to compiling to Native (x86) Code.

RomSteady - Test Locally, Test Globally, Test Early, Test Often
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
VC++6.0 is 4 years old now, and has some serious issues. Buy VC++.NET.

When I look upon seamen, men of physical science, and philosophers, man is the wisest of all beings. When I look upon priests, prophets, and interpreters of dreams, nothing is so contemptible as man.

Diogenes
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
1.) Only buy VC++ 6 if you can get it very cheap.
2.) VC#.net is a differtet app then VC++.net
VC++6 and VC.NET use basically the same compiler with some minor changes to the multithreaded debug modes and a few optimization issues.

I would suggest VC.NET since it is, as mentioned before, newer and better suited.

-----------------------------
Valkyrias: Tears of Valkyries
-----------------------------Final Frontier Trader
Visual C++ .NET supports compilation of both managed and unmanaged code in 32 and 64-bit environments. It is the next version of the Visual C++ compiler line and will allow you to do everything you can do in Visual C++ 6.0 and more. The versioning is actually 7.0 for VC++ .NET.

Cheers!
Colin
The compiler in VC++.NET is a complete rewrite from the VC++ 6 compiler, they share very little common code.
Everything you can do in 6.0 you can do in .NET. But it''s not the same vice versa. You can use Visual Studio .NET and code without using the .NET extensions.

The only problem is if you are used to 6.0 it may take some time to adjust to the .NET interface. One example is the classwizard is absent from .NET. The functionality is still there but it''s in a new form.

But I would recommend using .NET, eventually it will fully replace 6.0.
quote:Original post by Jonus
1.) Only buy VC++ 6 if you can get it very cheap.
2.) VC#.net is a differtet app then VC++.net

Actually C# and C++ use the same app, just different compilers.
The difference between us and a computer is that, the computer is blindingly stupid, but it is capable of being stupid many, many million times a second.-Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement