Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZBuffer issue?

This topic is 5577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A short history: The Z- (or W-) buffer has caused me some headaches in the past. At first, I had my near clipping plane set to 1, and my far plane set to 1500. But my distant objects didn''t always order correctly. Using a 24-bit z-buffer fixed the problem (until I tried to run on older hardware, and couldn''t run at all), and so did changing the near plane to 10. I''ve read that using a w-buffer is supposed to give better results for distant objects, but my own experience (on a Radeon 7200) is actually worse. Anyway, I recently imported a non-textured mesh in the shape of a torus, and I''m getting little quads blinking in and out. My first thought was that those polys are getting rendered behind the underlying terrain, via a z-buffer problem; but increasing my near plane to 100 or switching to a 24-bit z-buffer (or using a w-buffer) didn''t fix the problem. Am I barking up the right tree? Thanks in advance, Domenic, Underdog