VB DX8 2D Beta Game Engine Demo

Started by
5 comments, last by Rambo_Bill 21 years, 7 months ago
Easy Animating, Rotating and moving sprites in VB using DirectX 8. Their are a few purposes for this demo. 1. Demonstrate what is possible with VB and DirectX in 2D. 2. Demonstrate how simplistic game design can be made. 3. Test my code on other computers for capability. 4. Generate interest in the engine and maybe further development on it. 5. Its pretty cool. A few notes on the demo: Typing will place the characters you type at the position of the mouse. Clicking the right mouse button will play a random sound (out of 2 sounds). Clicking the left mouse button will end the demo. While the demo is running you can alt+tab to the DirectX console, any errors or usefull information will be shown in this console. Let me know how many FPS you get on your system and what type of system you have.. Thanx.. PS: I can 120 FPS on my P2 450 with a Voodoo 4500. oops forgot to put link to file: Here it is: http://mp3trivia.serveftp.net/mp3trivia/xdemo.zip IMPORTANT: Run Run1st.bat before opening the project! [edited by - rambo_bill on September 10, 2002 8:54:33 PM]
Advertisement
Run Time Error '429' :
ActiveX component can't create object

VB6, DX 8.1b
Pentium III - 600
Matrox Millenium G400

[edited by - omega supreme on September 11, 2002 10:48:40 AM]
athlon slot 750
256mb ram
geforce256

approx 137 fps

had to modify run1st.bat, changed it to
C:\windows\system32\regsvr32 mx8.dll
this is necessary for windows xp, runs fine, no errors.
Thanks Bcware, I''m suprised with your setup that you didn''t get a higher FPS.. Still 137fps is nice Sorry about the .bat file being wrong. Guess I should modify it to try and run regsvr32 from both locations just in case. In the end this all has scared me away from using a .DLL. I should have just left the code in with the project instead of making a seperate .dll.
Does code run quicker if it''s compiled into a DLL instead of just running as an EXE?
Duron 700
512MB Ram
Voodoo5 5500

Approx. 138 FPS - but it seemed to drift upwards over time...
Open your eyes and free your mindThat you may see the subtle wonderOf the worlds we live in...
Zxylin, good to see someone else still using voodoo, LOL.

Omega Supreme: no same speed, DLLS allow you to basically seperate your code into seperate parts. Whats cool is if you look at this code its very short because the .dll does all the work. I do think I will release the code in just a regular VB class instead of a .dll.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement