Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

software pixel shader ???

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Only the reference device (Which is only part of the SDK - Joe User doesnt have it). The reference Device is VERY slow but very handy for checking code on hardware you dont own (but it''s not always that straightforward due to driver bugs on various cards).

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

thedo is absolutely correct, but if you desperately need it, and don''t mind writing your own software renderer, you can write a pluggable software renderer for your game that plugs in as a device driver into DirectX. It''s nasty, but possible.

RomSteady - Test Locally, Test Globally, Test Early, Test Often

Note that the above suggestion is only possible in DX8 not DX8.1. Support was dropped for whatever reason.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

quote:
Original post by thedo
Note that the above suggestion is only possible in DX8 not DX8.1. Support was dropped for whatever reason.

Usually, you have to optimize the hell out of a software renderer and need every free cycle possible. If you plug it into DX, you just get another layer of abstraction. I''d assume that nobody really used it - if someone does need a software rasterizer, they''ll probably implement it into their engine framework and not the DX framework, for obvious efficiency reasons. I mean, the DirectX framework is without doubt geared at hardware acceleration. Would you use stuff like "SetTexture()" or "SetRenderState()" in exactly the way it is used in DirectX? I doubt it''s useful for software engines, it''s just the way the hardware works.
Supporting a feature nobody uses isn''t very cost-effective.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Coming soon.