Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

openAL : cannot find lib...

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

when i compile my app, using openAL (just testing at the moment...), and then try to run, i''m getting the error message : "error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" i''m using Debian & i already put the path to the file into /etc/ld.so.conf ... i also tried to copy the library into the directory, where the executable is... same result. what did i do wrong ? is there any other config-file, that tells programs, where they can find libraries ?

ok... thanks... now it''s working...

but i still wonder, why it didn''t work with the OpenAL installation from the cvs, when the library path (in ld.so.conf) was set & i even copied the ''missing'' file in the same dir, in which the exe was...
if anyone knows, please tell me, so i can use the newest version from cvs...

quote:
Original post by uNiQue0815
but i still wonder, why it didn''t work with the OpenAL installation from the cvs, when the library path (in ld.so.conf) was set

If you installed OpenAL in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib (either /usr or /usr/local should be the default prefix for the configure script, so that''s where it should have gone unless you changed it) then my only guess (for now) is that you could have not called ''ldconfig'' after installing it.
quote:
Original post by uNiQue0815
i even copied the ''missing'' file in the same dir, in which the exe was...

Linux doesn''t (normally) scan an executable''s directory when looking for libraries to link.