Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving to Unix

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been wanting to make the switch for a long time. I still cant do it completely for school purposes, but i will use it at home. I really dont like microsoft anymore. I want to know what would be a good thing to start with. I have tried GNU/Linux a couple times. But, recently I have been leaning towards FreeBSD although i never tried it.(with the amount of experience i have im just deciding which mascott is cooler ) Whatever i do, i will spend some money on a book to learn to use the OS. I want to know what other people think is a good one to choose. I already program with sdl and opengl, so i expect that transition wont be too hard. except i will have to switch from MSVC++ to devC++. I just want some advice on things other people maybe wish they knew when they switched, and which OS and distribution is good, etc. also, you can tell me a better website to learn some of this stuff. I just posted here because im always at this site.

quote:
Original post by robirt
I already program with sdl and opengl, so i expect that transition wont be too hard. except i will have to switch from MSVC++ to devC++.

Dev C++ for *nix is dead. Some alternative for the ''full IDE'' environment are Anjuta and KDevelop. I grew fond of the command line style development though, so you might want to try it out yourself.

quote:
Original post by robirt
I just want some advice on things other people maybe wish they knew when they switched, and which OS and distribution is good, etc.

If you plan to use X (you do ) you''ll probably want a three button mouse (the middle button is "paste what I last highlighted"). If you have an NVidia card, you''ll want to install their drivers before doing any OpenGL stuff.

Any ''big name'' distro will be good. Good for what? It depends. If you want an easy distro (''do what I think I want''), go for Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, or Lycoris. If you want a different type of distro, look into Slackware (''do it yourself''), Debian (''let dpkg do what you tell it to'', with easy installation with apt), or Gentoo (''do it yourself'', but build from source very easily with emerge). If you want to try FreeBSD, go ahead.

Guest Anonymous Poster
thanks for telling me about devc++. i guess thats ok if kdevelop is good.
Is linux better than BSD? I know it is more popular and i always hear about the linux kernel being good, but i never really hear about bsd. Can anyone explain important differences for me?

the BSD kernels i would say is more stable,

but the speed at which the linux kernel is being developed is running circles around bsd, it seems.

Also, nvidia has drivers for linux. not bsd.

I personally like [f]BSD only for its package management. ports == ownage.

and don''t anyone even dare claim gentoo has ports.

The ports system is basically a directory structure (/usr/ports in FreeBSD) with some nifty, powerful, Makefiles.

The idea is actually very simple.

Inside /usr/ports you'll find directories such as 'databases', 'ftp', 'util', 'archive', 'irc', etc.

Eventually you'll reach a directory named with an application name. Inside that dir will be a Makefile and some auxiliary files.

That makefile can automatically download and install the application it was made for (just 'make install' it). Source hosts for downloads are choosen based on an application specific list of mirrors.

In FreeBSD, successful installation of an application is registered in a DB. You can later issue a command to uninstall any of those applications.

It's much more practical than other package managers, IMHO.

I'm using FreeBSD at home to develop a MMORPG server. I'm a big fan of it, and would argue in its favour to anyone planning on running server applications.

Also, its linux compatibility layer is surprisingly good, fast and stable.

I'm not sure about how good it'd be for developing (and running) rich games, however. I'd guess Linux is better for that matters... although I heard Quakes run pretty good in FreeBSD.

[edited by - HellRaider on September 10, 2002 12:25:31 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
So, since it doesnt have the video card drivers, what will happen? Will I have to run everything in software mode? Will there be any other bad effects?

There's a project to develop unofficial drivers for NVIDIA cards for FreeBSD... but it doesn't seem very attractive.

http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/

I'd rather go with Linux for 3D Games.

[edited by - HellRaider on September 12, 2002 1:12:35 AM]