How Much Exerience Is Necessary To Make A Simple 2d Game...?

Started by
3 comments, last by -dcx- 21 years, 7 months ago
I was just wondering how long did it take some of you to make your first game(from the time you first started learning c++)? I have VC++ 6.0 standard, an old version of photoshop, and only one year of c++ experience under my belt. Would that be enough to start learning how to create simple games? I have tried to learn a little bit about opengl on my own time, but so far all I''ve learned how to do was to create a triangle, give it some colors, and have it rotate. So how long do you think it''ll be before I can make a tetris game or a simple side-scrolling game?
Advertisement
Make a game. That''s all it takes. There is no ''minimum level of experience'' that you have to have to make a game. Some good books (there are lots out there) will help.

John.
G''day,

Well I made my first game (tetris) with a few months C++ experience and a tiny bit of openGL. Once you can create a window, get user input and render triangles to the screen you can make a 2D game.

Personally I have switched back to DirectDraw from OpenGL as I wanted to learn more about programming games than learning a 3D api to start with, but either way is good.

You sound like you have enough to begin with. Just plug away at it and the important thing is not to give up. Decide what you want to do and reach the goal (make it a very small one of course to make sure you can reach it). Tetris is a very good way to go as it is quite simple but it does get incresingly complex as you get into it, with collision detection and other such things.

Good luck with it.

Doolwind

You can write a text-based game in under 5 minutes (guess the number).

You can write a better text-based game ( ) in under a week.

You can learn and write a full graphical, DirectX or OpenGL-based, tetris game, in under two weeks. But you need to know how to do it first.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Original post by superpig
You can learn and write a full graphical, DirectX or OpenGL-based, tetris game, in under two weeks. But you need to know how to do it first .

*chuckle*
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement