Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how accessing data in other program parts/instances of classes?

This topic is 5577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I''ve written a class that creates an error log, that is able to open/close the error-file and one can add an message per "SetError"-method. class CErrorProtocol { public: CErrorProtocol( char* Filename ); ~CErrorProtocol (); void SetError( char *String ); private: char* m_strFilename; FILE* m_Protocol; }; The steering main-program creates an instance of this class dynamically. My problem is now, that all other instances of dynamically created classes (all other classes in my program) can''t add a message to the log, because they have no pointer/access to the errorlog-class (they don''t see it). What would the easiest/elegantest solution of this problem be? Would it be a solution to pass all instances of classes a pointer to the application, so it can relate to other program parts? How is the communication basically connected between class-instances (what is the matching feature/catch phrase in oop)? thanks for help!

Guest Anonymous Poster
can you think of a reason to not use a global variable? btw I didn''t say "recite" I said "think". Ok so maybe you have a reason. Does it outweigh the horribleness of making every single object in your game have an additional pointer for no reason whatsoever?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
can you think of a reason to not use a global variable?

Don''t worry; he''ll feel better once you say "global singleton" because [mindless recital]once it''s a singleton, it''s no longer a variable[/mindless recital].

A global variable is a perfect solution to this. Just make sure only the main driver creates and destroys the object (that''s the facility a singleton provides).