Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glInterleavedArray vs. glDrawElements & glXPointer

This topic is 5571 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi People, I''ve got a question about vertex arrays in OpenGL. Are glInterleavedArray vertex arrays the same like the vertex arrays with glXPointer and glDrawElements ?? I want to know what is faster. The glXPointer method or the glInterleavedArray method.. or are thy equal fast ?? Thanx, alex

one call faster than more than one call.

That said interleaved arrays can be seen as a macro using the others functions (which is the case, at least conceptually), and are more restrictive than the ''standard'' functions.

If you use some extensions you will be ''forced'' to use the standard arrays functions.

Anyway since it''s the same stuff going on on the card, speed should be equal.
(except for the small functions call overhead mentionned above, but it''s really nothing)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

<<that said interleaved arrays can be seen as a macro using the others functions (which is the case, at least conceptually), and are more restrictive than the ''standard'' functions.

glInterleavedArrays calls itself glVertex3f glNormal3f etc ?? I thought this function submits all the vertex stuff in one push to the graphics card...

so, what would be the fastest method to submit a large amount of vertex data to the graphics card if glInterleavedArrays is only a macro to glVertex etc... ??

Bye, Alex

quote:
Original post by nomore_pf
glInterleavedArrays calls itself glVertex3f glNormal3f etc ?? I thought this function submits all the vertex stuff in one push to the graphics card...

That''s not what he meant. He meant it is more or less a front-end to glVertexPointer and its brethren.

OK, so glInterleavedArrays (or glXPointer) is the fastest way to submit vertex data to the graphics card... hmm.. but I''ve got no speed up after changing my intermmediate calls (glVertex3f..blabla) to glInterleavedArray calls.... really, I''ve got no fps increase... perhaps the ATI-Drivers... ??

ive never seen any major speed difference between the two. + AFAIK in the nvidia docs theres not gonna be a major difference in speed between the two (certainly not in real world examples)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

i was talking about Interleaved Arrays + standard vertex arrays.
yes if youre cpu/geometry limited vertex arrays should be quicker than immediate

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html