Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battle.net?

This topic is 5570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im a long time user of blizzard''s battle.net. Working on my game and its networking code I got to thinking a good design would be to use a system like battle.net. For those who arent fimilar with battle.net, it allows players to meet and create custom games and/or play arranged games which affect the players ladder status. I was wondering how battle.net works? It allows hundreds/ thousands of people to connect, chat, create games. Another great thing is that even if the host of a game disconnects the game still carrys on!?! If anyone has an idea on how the system works, or if someone happened to have the code for running a battle.net server plz let me know :D

Guest Anonymous Poster
battle.net is really a advance lobby

i think its battle net who host the game .... not the "host"
but at least what you need is a dedicated server that is runnning on a static ip / or got a dns... and clients connect to that one ...

Guest Anonymous Poster
dude, these guys already did that until Blizzard filed a suit against them, although what they were doing(intercepting the TCP/IP packets and decrypting them) was perfectly legal.
They recreated by reverse engineering, the BNET server/client app that works without the battle.net server, so you can LAN with your friends. Anyhow, They DID post open source, which I never saw, and Blizzard took''em down, but it''s probably still out there. Go and read some articles on the college group and their work. I think they called the project BNETD or something.
Reading and selectively intercepting the packets would also be helpful for hijacking accounts of those annoying, cheap assholes in golems--hmmm.

anonymouse!

I don''t think he mean''t hes making an FSGS clone. As for how battle.net works. I believe battle.net itself is pretty much just like an IRC server with loads of rooms. When a user creates a game their client machine begins to host, and the players join. When the game starts the host is the host. If he timesout then the players negoiate a new host to take his place.

I could be wrong but I believe that is the most suitable way of doing it.

DragonWolf