Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exception error w/ Vertex Buffer? (plz help)

This topic is 5570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just thought I would test the waters here. Forgive me if this post is inappropriate/stupid but I''m dead in the water here. So, I am attempting to create a vertex buffer to fill... a process which I have done many times w/o incedent. But this time, using the exact same code that works elswhere, I get: Access Violation in 0xC0000005 Debugging points it to the following statement: g_pDevice->CreateVertexBuffer( m_NumberOfVerts * sizeof(CVertex), 0, MY_FVF, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &m_pVB ); All the arguments are fine (initialized, contain valid numbers, etc) but I get an exception error, and nothing runs. The m_pVB is ( LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER8 m_pVB; ), and I initalize it to NULL in the constructor. and the size (vert* sizeof(struct) ) == 331776. (I''ve tried changing/lowering this number to no effect) Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any idea what would cause this? I would greatly appreciate help/advice/web links Thanks, Confused Monkey

Definitely sounds like you''ve got a bad pointer somewhere would be my guess. Double check that all the classes you''re using (including the one this call is made from) are initialized properly. From personal experience I''ve never once had Direct3D throw an Access Violation (outside of beta) that wasn''t my fault.

That''s a damn good point. [/kicks self]
Since u asked, I looked, and I partially have the debug version installed. Looks like whe I installed some game recently, it overwrote some of it.

I''m redownloading it as I type... see you in a few hours.

-DumberMonkey

The debug install should give you some more information about the error in the debug output panel of visual studio. Maybe some information that has corrupted your device or something like that. Just have a look at it. (Be sure to set the slider in the dx-control panel to max)