Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stadium rendering?

This topic is 5576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m starting to look into rendering a sports stadium. Most sports games (appear to) have very detailed staidiums. What is the typical polygon count of a baseball, football, soccer, basketball or, hockey stadium? Is a dynamic LOD used, or does something like an octtree work? My (maybe misguided) assumptions are roughly 15,000 polygons for a entire stadium. with < 5000 ever in view. I would guess they handle an overhead view with a different (smaller) model. Then you have the players, but I would hope they use LOD. I would also guess, that most of the crowd is handled with animated textures. This is pretty obvious in Hockey games. Older football games appear to use 2d billboard character for people on the sidelines (people managing the chains, cameramen etc...). I''m not sure is that''s still the case. I''m eager to pick your brain on this subject... so reply damn-it!

quote:

What is the typical polygon count of a baseball, football, soccer, basketball or, hockey stadium?

how long is a piece of string?

you can make the stadium as complex or as simple as you want. just as long as the framerate is up there...

-jonnii

There has to be a starting point. I could give up at 232 polygons, and say that''s the best there is. And you don''t go to an artist an say ''create me a stadium, it must run at 30fps...''.
You have some rough estimates. And I don''t think they''re in frames per second.

What are these ''framerate'' maintaining figures used today?

Well, it depends a lot on how efficient and thus fast your engine is. I bet you I could write an Engine that runs horribly slow at 200 Polys on a Radeon 9700 and a P4 [insert high clockspeed here]. But you can also write an Engine that runs fast on a GeForce with, say 200000 polys. There aren''t any absolute figures.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.

The standard way to caculate polygon budgets is by considering the following questions:

* How efficient is your engine, how much geometry can it handle ?
* What''s your minimum target FPS ?
* What''s your target hardware ? If the game should still run on TNT alikes, then you''ll obviously have less faces. If it''s a GF4/Radeon9700 only game, then go ahead and make a 500k stadium.
* Is geometry worth it ? If some guy in the crowd is so far away, that you wouldn''t see the difference between a 3D model and a billboard anyway, then use the billboard.

As JQ said, there are no given figures. You''ll have to test/time for yourself. Exact figures can only be given for a specific engine and hardware combination.

/ Yann