Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civ III/Warcraft II style color-coded sprites

This topic is 5572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok... This may actually be a programming question (I''m not sure). I have a group of sprites (spaceships) in .TGA format which each have an alpha channel that allows them to blend into any background. What I would like to do is be able to color code sprites in the game engine itself so that each ship will show the proper team color WITHOUT needing to have a sprite graphic for each color. Is it possible to do this without a second alpha channel? (that would be a big format change) Any insight would be terrific. Thanks in advance!

I supposed you could set an alpha of 0 as see through, 1 as team color and anything else as solid. (Out of an 8-bit number) But you would still have to process the images before you did anything with them once they've been loaded into your game... ie setting the proper team color. I've never done this sort of this and I'm just talking off the top of my head.

[edited by - MagicScript on September 11, 2002 1:45:29 PM]

Use palletes you miss the alpha channel but gain the ability to change the colors, so a team use this pallete, the other that pallete, etc.

it''s an old tick but i think it''s usefull