StainMaps

Started by
6 comments, last by Hairybudda 21 years, 7 months ago
Is there anyone out there that can enlighten me on the concept of stain maps? Just a general outline, got into a discussion about them with another coder and he wouldnt explain them to me, he just told me the pro''s and cons. Cheers in advance - Matt
*st0ned*
Advertisement
decals?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
decals?

Apparently they''re like decal textures, but dont hog bandwidth, or stress the card out when they''re drawn each frame

*st0ned*
I never heard that term before. A quick search on Google brought up tons of Quake gamers sites, so I guess it is a term used by non-programmers to describe some kind of decal effect with a special blend mode.
quote:Original post by Yann L
I never heard that term before. A quick search on Google brought up tons of Quake gamers sites, so I guess it is a term used by non-programmers to describe some kind of decal effect with a special blend mode.

yea thats what i got too. i guess ill give it up, i got more important stuff to look into

Cheers anyway people
*st0ned*
Stainmaps are like lightmaps. In fact they''re just lightmaps that are used to create an effect similar to decals.
One difference over lightmaps (I imagine) is the blend. I doubt you would modulate, but rather add
quote:Original post by mitchw
One difference over lightmaps (I imagine) is the blend. I doubt you would modulate, but rather add

Or even replace. Blood splattered on a wall should look red. On a blue wall blook doesn''t look purple, the blue even enhanced the redness.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement