Predictable Randomization

Started by
50 comments, last by DuranStrife 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by ph33r
If you had a 100 doors with 1% lockpicking ability, I thought you would open one door, but I guess that is not the case.

As always with statistics, you have to be very careful with what you say.

If you have 100 doors with a 1% lockpicking ability, you would be most likely able to open one door. In other words, if you had 500 players with a 1% lockpicking ability try to open 100 doors each, most players will have succeeded only once.

For a big picture view of this, if you had 500 players try to open 1000 doors with a 1% lockpicking ability, and you recorded a histogram of how many people had N successes, you would see a Gaussian distribution centered about N=10.

quote:
Think about it; lets say that your method with the door ID''s ends up generating RAND_MAX.

Mithrandir: this is why it was suggested to also hash with the player ID--if one guy can''t get it, maybe another guy can. Also, if you want to be ''nice'', you could hash the day number to let them retry once a day, or whatever other factor you wanted to add.
Advertisement
ah, yeah.

That actually makes much more sense now =).

I would still like to get a way to put "hardness" into it somehow, as well.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement