Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VC++ .NET & STL

This topic is 5575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there I would like to find out if you have to do/add something special to make use of STL in .NET, with my previous project in VC++ 6.0 I had no problem using STL but now with that I moved my project to VC++ .Net I get strange copulation errors with some of the STL containers. here is an idea how my errors look like e:\Dev\Plastic\object_handler.h(62): error C2664: ''std::vector >:ush_back'' : cannot convert parameter 1 from ''CObjectBase *'' to ''const CObjectBase &'' e:\Dev\Plastic\object_handler.h(67): error C2440: ''return'' : cannot convert from ''std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> *'' to ''std::vector<_Ty,_Ax> *'' with [ _Ty=CObjectBase, _Ax=std::allocator ] and [ _Ty=CObjectBase *, _Ax=std::allocator ] Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast this code worked in compiled successfully in VC++ 6.0 any ideas http://www.freewebz.com/plastic/

Show us the code which causes these errors.

What you''ve got is a vector which looks like vector<CObjectBase> but you''re trying to use it with pointers to CObjectBase. Change the declaration to vector<CObjectBase *> and see how that goes.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.

//-------------
inline void CObjectBase::vAttachChild(CObjectBase* child)
{
assert(child);
child->vSetParent(this);
m_pChildList.push_back(child);
}

//-------------
inline vector *CObjectBase:GetChildList()
{
return &m_pChildList;
}

hope this helps

here is the basic part of the class

//---------
class CObjectBase
{
protected:
vector m_pChildList;
CObjectBase* m_pParentObject;

bool m_bEnabled;
bool m_bNoDelete;
bool m_bStatic;

public:
void vSetParent(CObjectBase* parent);
void vAttachChild(CObjectBase* child);
vector *pGetChildList();
//bla
//bla
};

http://www.freewebz.com/plastic/

The problem is exactly what Dean said it was. You''re trying to push back a CObjectBase* into a CObjectBase vector (notice not a pointer). You either need to dereference it, using the * operator, or change your vector to a vector. The latter will allow you to store pointers to derived classes.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.

"I swear, honey, I never get copulation errors like this! Just give me a minute to reboot myself."

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.