Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downloading The Platform SDK : A Horror Story

This topic is 5565 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One happy morning, I thought to myself that the time had now come for me to #define WINVER 5 and start using all the cool functions that Win98/2K provide me. So I do that and compile my prog. But what's this?? A compiler message telling me that the libraries/headers included with VC++ 6 are BETA Win98 and if I want to use them I should get the latest version of the platform SDK. Fine, I think to myself, i will do just that.So i goto the website and am presented with 3 options : - Online setup. Download & setup ~100 MB's online with my blazing fast 33.6Kbps DialUp? I didnt think so. - Order the CD.Was easier, but the price in US Dollars put it outta my reach. I'm just a poor student after all. - The Full Download! - > 400 MB worth of cab files.Ouch! but with enough time and perseverence, it could be done. So, I started the download and with the aid of getright and, of course, my speedy 33.6kbps dial up,the sdk came to me - kb by kb. That was in the last week of July, and I finished the 18th and final file of this download yesterday. Well, there was much rejoicing in the kingdom and, with a light heart, i started the extraction process. BAM!! Errors! Apparently, files 3 6 and 8 of the download were corrupt.Fine, I said, struggling to keep a hold on myself, I will just download that 75 MB again. So with a brave smile, I start getright, add the files and begin the download.Error! Getright tells me that it can no longer find the file. Apparently MS posted a new build of the PSDK and removed the old ones. Worse, the new build is even larger, with 20(instead of 18) files!! Having lost all desire for another 2 month long download marathon, I decided to go back to the drawing board. The VC++ include & lib directories contain nearly 1400 files totalling 70 MB. But on compressing them with winrar, I get a rar file of a measly 8 Mb. So here's my plan : Could any of you, who has the new PSDK, just compress the PSDK include & lib directories and mail me the file? The file would surely be a lot smaller than the 400 Mb download that looms before me. So,How about it? Anyone? Please? Pretty please? --------------------------------------------------------- Murphy's Law : Anything that can possibly go wrong, will. [edited by - Howard roark on September 11, 2002 6:54:56 PM]

What version of the SDK were you downloading. I think I still have the entire set from when I downloaded them a few month back. I could give you a URL to them, if they match.

EDIT: I have the November 2001 one

[edited by - CWizard on September 11, 2002 7:33:34 PM]

I''m with LessBread on this one:

1) Just e-mailing you the headers and libs which you copied on top of the official ones would end up with a horribly messed up build environment - the PSDK installer registers new environment variables, updates all the tools etc.

2) I installed the CD version of the PSDK on this machine, so I just checked the size of the e-mail attachment you''re asking for: 273Mb!!!. That''s including the Win64 and Prerelease stuff. Without those it''s still ~66Mb which isn''t going to be much different to downloading 100Mb from the MS site. In fact when you consider that sending it by e-mail will BASE64/UU encode the data, the size of the e-mail you''re asking someone to send would be 132Mb. Which would most likely bounce too!

3) Where do you live? I''m in Europe (UK), and the CD only cost me $15.95 including *international* shipping. Going by UK exchange rate''s thats the equivilent of roughly:

a) two monthly PC magazines.
b) entry fee to a nightclub for one night.
c) four bottles of beer in a bar.
d) a box of branded CDRs

not too much really - especially if you put a cost on the stress and your time downloading ~100Mb from MS or ~132Mb from your e-mail provider. And you get the full thing including all the samples etc, which you can install on any machine as many times as you like (i.e. no repeat 100Mb download if you have to reformat your dev machine etc).

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

If you want I could try bzip'ing the latest PSDK CD ISO image (I have an MSDN subscription) and you could download it in several 1 MB chunks. I'd include MD5 sums for each chunk so you can verify the download was good for each section. You could then re-assemble it and then burn directly to a CD. Please e-mail me if you're interested (place GAMEDEV somewhere in the subject line), I'd be able to start uploading over my cable connection tonight. bzip compression should be able to shave almost 100 mb off of a 600 mb file, even if it is compressed via cab's or whatever...

[edited by - SilentReaper on September 11, 2002 9:07:12 PM]

Thanks for all the responses !

CWizard : Thanks for the files, but i don''t think they will work. I was downloading Build 5.2.3663.0 which is the July 2002 release. I am missing files 3,6,8 and 15.I need the core sdk, in files 3,6 & 8. 15 contains the MDAC SDK

S1CA :
quote:

1) Just e-mailing you the headers and libs which you copied on top of the official ones would end up with a horribly messed up build environment - the PSDK installer registers new environment variables, updates all the tools etc.

I dont plan to overwrite my old files. I would extract the new files in a seperate folder, and include the path in VC++ Options>Directories . And AFAIK the enviroment variables are only required by the files in the bin dir.The headers and libs dont need enviroment vars.I will be missing the tools & samples, but its still better than nothing.
quote:

2) I installed the CD version of the PSDK on this machine, so I just checked the size of the e-mail attachment you''re asking for: 273Mb!!!. That''s including the Win64 and Prerelease stuff. Without those it''s still ~66Mb which isn''t going to be much different to downloading 100Mb from the MS site. In fact when you consider that sending it by e-mail will BASE64/UU encode the data, the size of the e-mail you''re asking someone to send would be 132Mb. Which would most likely bounce too!

i just want the headers and lib, which according to you are ~66MB. If u rar them, you will find that it shrinks to 10% ie 7-8 MB, which you have to admit is a LOT better than a 100MB.
quote:

the CD only cost me $15.95 including *international* shipping. Going by UK exchange rate''s thats the equivilent of roughly:
a) two monthly PC magazines.

Well, it would cost me more than 10 monthly PC magazines.But, the point is I dont have the money right now, however I do have ~200 hrs left in my net account. So this would just be simpler.

SilentReaper : Appreciate the offer, but redownloading 500 mb would mean that I get the final thing a few months hence, and I have already been waiting since july. Still, if nothing better comes up, I will mail you.

To sum up :
The best solution would be if someone could post the missing files from build 3663.0 for download.
Failing that, could someone just rar and mail me the headers & lib dirs?
Otherwise, I guess i will get started on the new August ver of the SDK thats up for download, and hope to get it completed by oct.

---------------------------------------------------------
Murphy''s Law : Anything that can possibly go wrong, will.

Hmm, no one else seems to have downloaded build 3663.
So how about sending me the headers and the libs from their PSDK?
How about it CWizard? Could you compress and put the headers+libs for download? Or mail me?

Build 3663, is that the newest SDK? I haven''t downloaded it, but could do it now. Could be a few minutes though, I only have a 10mbit connection Actually more worried if I have the disk space...

Well, it''s down. (Had to delete and shuffle some, but managed ). Going to install it now, so if you could try to tell exactly what stuff you want compressed (I wouldn''t attempt to this sort of patching myself), I''ll rar it and give you an URL. I could also make volumes of it. What is a good size? 1, 2, 5 MB?

CWizard : Thanks a lot ! I'll be eternally grateful.
quote:
I only have a 10mbit connection

!!! I am connected right now at 26400 bps
I'll start the download right now and should be completed by tomorrow. Latest by Monday.
Finally, time for some XP programming!
Soon the world shall be mine !! < insert maniacal laughter >

Thanks again !

BTW : the mail id is [ hum at mail.com ] . I dont even recollect giving the mail id included in my profile. Is there some way to correct it ? Cause i'm logged in right now and its not editable.

[edited by - Howard Roark on September 14, 2002 9:24:06 AM]

CWizard : Thanks. Updated my mail Id.
I have got got the headers & am halfway thru the libs. :D

Just found out that SilenReaper had already posted the files on his server for me to download.
Sorry for the trouble SilentReaper. My Boo Boo.

quote:
Original post by Brian Jones
CWizard is a show-off. He HAD to post a pic of him downloading at 977KB/sec
*smiles*
hehe... I didn''t have anything to do while dling, and wanted to indicate progress...

Got the libs
Just needed the first 3 rars. The rest just contain debug libs for IA64.
Buit a program. Everything works just fine
Gimme 2-3 days to get the help. Currently hacking the help viewer to get it to work under Win ME