Qs with DirectDraw

Started by
4 comments, last by cool_xo 21 years, 7 months ago
In DirectX8, correct me if i''m wrong, I heard that they have removed DirectDraw, or combined... But how come I can still find DirectDraw in the documentation??
Advertisement
In the DirectX 8.1 SDK, DirectDraw documentation is taken out however there are samples for still learning DirectDraw in the SDK.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
Soo........ is that mean DirectDraw is still in DX8.1?
Sorry I forgot to complete my post. DirectX has backward compatibility so that any previous versions of DirectX are possible even if you only have the newest version. So yes, if you have DirectX 8.1, then you can use DirectDraw. But microsoft won''t be updating it any more so it might be better for the future to go to D3D. DirectDraw isn''t dead, it''s just completed for the hardware today.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
Just to clarify things - yes, DirectDraw still exists, but you cannot use it AND DirectX Graphics 8+ interfaces. For instance, you cannot use DirectDraw to blit to a backbuffer and finish up by rendering D3D8 primitives. Only like version interfaces work with each other. So in the end, if you want to use DX Graphics (DX v8+), than no, you cannot use DirectDraw at the same time.

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
and Focus On: Advanced Animation with DirectX

And what Jim saya spplies *only* to DX Graphics. You can still use DAudio, DInput and DPlay version 8+ interfaces with DirectDraw.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement