• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Argus

3d image interpretation

This topic is 5762 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone could inform me of a good method to recognise 3d objects from a 2d interface (eg. a picture) in a world where there are finitely many objects which might be in the 2d viewpoint. So in other words, I need a good method to recognise objects in a picture that takes into account the possiblities of rotation and distance from viewpoint.

Advertisement
If you find a good method, let me know (quietly please) and we''ll make a lot of money together!

Currently there isn''t a ''good method'' as this is an open research topic in computer vision. Current methods incorporate a variety of techniques that include edge detection, depth perception of points of interest, lighting/shading analysis and object classification. One of the hardest tasks is identifying which parts of an image belong to a single object.

I believe there have been some recent efforts to use camera motion and parallax to help identify distinct objects, but I don''t have any specific references for that... just something I recall hearing at some time.

I suggest you scour the web and try citeseer (www.citeseer.com).

Cheers,

Timkin

Thanks Timkin - I suspected that might be the case, although obviously I was hoping it wasn''t.

Robots have to do similar things in a universe of essentially infinitely many objects, so I was hoping for some relatively efficient method to be well-known.

Are neural nets a good tool for these problems?

The techniques you may find useful have shape-from-X names:
shape from shading, shape from texture, etc. Most computer vision book will have a chapter devoted to these things.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!