• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craazer

Is direct-x safe to use?

This topic is 5935 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a bit wierd queston. So if u use the direct-x ''wrong way'' can it harm ur hardware? Is it bossible to make memory leaks to VRAM? sure?

Advertisement
You can''t harm your hardware, but you can easily cause your PC to crash, for example by passing the wrong arguments to DrawPrimitive() that read past the end of a vertex buffer.
Memory leaks are only really a problem in system memory, you don''t allocate video memory directly, although you can get memory "leaks" if you create textures or surfaces in video memory but don''t release them when you''re done.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, if you don''t program correctly you will get a fair amount of memory leaks, wether your using DX or not. But don''t worry this hasn''t killed my computer yet, so yours should also be fine... ;-))

Well, actually DX doesn''t have any way of killing your hardware(absolutely no way), but if you write malicious code you can kill your PC, but using DX will certainly not help in any way in creating this malicious code (guaranteed).

Guest Anonymous Poster
I havent checked the newer releases of DX, but you used to be able to change the monitors refresh rate. Setting it too high might cause some physical problems

Games do cause your system to generate more heat - both the GPU & CPU are under a much heavier load while playing than while idling surfing the web.

Improper cooling can cause problems - most of them are not permanent.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
Games do cause your system to generate more heat - both the GPU & CPU are under a much heavier load while playing than while idling surfing the web.

Improper cooling can cause problems - most of them are not permanent.

Yeah, but he wouldn''t only get those by programming in DirectX - he can play any 3D game and could get problems if his PC is badly cooled.

quote:
Original post by an Anonymous Poster
I havent checked the newer releases of DX, but you used to be able to change the monitors refresh rate. Setting it too high might cause some physical problems.
This could only happen if your Windows Monitor drivers are badly installed (or you have the wrong ones) as they usually prevent that kind of thing happening. Apart from that, all monitors I know just switch off if you set a too high refresh rate.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.

Guest Anonymous Poster
OK, the monitor thingy is a real concern, but that only happens on older screens which don''t jump to a safe shut down when you muddle with the wrong settings...

As for the CPU GPU cooling issue... have you tried one of these problems? Stating that you''ll get permanent physical damage is a bit excessive as whatever program your running will crash way before any damage occurs (trust me, and I actually got this problem while using WORD and EXCEL, the computer kept on crashing, especially with memory problems, and then I opened the case and found a faulty fan). NO ONE should actually worry about these problems, they only really happen if the relevant computer hardware isn''t working properly or if they are overclocking their system and if they actually burn the mem and CPU then consider them lucky as it is a rare occerence. Although I must point out that you will trash the mem and CPU if you maintain these adverse conditions for a long period of time, GUARANTEED.

my TFT monitor has no particular drivers (just uses the WinXP plug n play driver)... thus you can set any refresh rate and resolution in some older apps...

and on my old (crappy fishbowl CRT) monitor you could set high refresh rates and it''d go all fuzzy and not shut down...

in general, always let the user know when changing refresh rates. Or just let Direct3D handle it for you - it usually does a fine job.

Jack;

DirectX 4 VB: All you need for multimedia programming in Visual Basic
Formula 1 Championship Manager, My Game Project.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!