• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

borngamer

[java] Getting People to Download the JRE1.4

This topic is 5757 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve noticed lately in many Java vs. C++ discussions on this site people always seem to bash the download of the newest JRE (or state that you need to use Java 1.1). I have been thinking about this lately while trying to decide what to code my next game in and I have this question.... Why are developer''s afraid to release a game that need''s the newest JRE but they are not concerned about forcing player''s to download the newest DirectX for their C++ games? Both are pretty big downloads for dial up users, but downloading the newest DirectX doesn''t seem to be a concern for developers. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. borngamer

Advertisement
Last time I downloaded DirectX was a looooooooooooong time ago... Most CD games these days bring the directx included, so I''ve never needed to download it.

Mac for productivity
Linux for development
Palm for mobility
Windows... for the Solitaire

That is actually a very good point (one that I'll have to remember to make the next time that I have that discussion -- you're right, it comes up all the time). Another example would be that to run any .NET programs, the .NET framework (I think that's what they're calling it) has to be downloaded -- and it's also quite large.

I think for some reason the JRE just has gotten a really bad rap from users. I don't know if it's the technical-sounding name or what, but it's really not more of a hassle than other junk.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot to mention my solution. With Java applications that I make, I usually create an installer with the latest version of the JRE included as an install option. Another solution is Java Web Start.

-pirate_dau

[edited by - pirate_dau on September 12, 2002 2:01:54 PM]

Oh, I plan on using Java for my next game and I will put the JRE on the CD and in the installer. I just really wanted to get a sense of why many people seem to think downloading all the extra Microsoft products (DirectX, .net, 6 billion security patches, etc) to run a game is ok and downloading the newest JRE isn''t.

borngamer

I can tell you precisely why, having observed two friends of mine trying to download the JRE.

"JRE, what the FUCK is JRE?"

*Types it into google, finds a million irrelevant results, wastes 20 minutes searching*

"Mate, thats the Java thing, you need it to run java applications"

"Oh right, where do I get it from?"

"It? Theres several of them, and multiple versions with obfuscated names and you need precisely the right one."

"Oh and you need to register before you can download it... including a valid email address *spam*..."

"Fuck that!"

Its inconvenient, difficult to find, confusing, and just generally doesnt comply to the "People on the net have a 3 second attention span" rule.

On the other hand, there is only one DirectX, you get it from Microsoft.com, everyone knows its for Windows and you cant pick the wrong one... there is only one latest version, and you neednt register.

Personally I despise DirectX and Im a big Java fan but thats how it seems to be...

[edited by - loply on September 12, 2002 2:24:44 PM]

It is entirely the fault of the application developer if a user of the application ever has to go to sources other than the application's documentation to answer the questions "JRE, what the FUCK is JRE?" or "Oh right, where do I get it from?". Sun has made it really easy for developers to inform their users about the JRE by creating an end-user oriented get Java page and any developer that neglects to provide information about the runtime environment deserves to lose the business.

[edited by - HenryAPe on September 12, 2002 3:26:22 PM]

Microsoft's VM does not fully implement Java 1.1 I think. You need to download additions to get access to RMI etc. if you use it. Coding for the lowest-common denominator is not exactely sustainable development.

[edited by - HenryAPe on September 13, 2002 1:45:37 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!