• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiscoDonut

VertexBuffer clarification

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I am making a game with lots of 3d models, do I make a vertex buffer for each one? Also, if I have animated models, (say, md2''s) would I draw that using vb''s? I suppose I could write the interpolated vertex data into a vertex buffer every frame, (requiring a seperate vb for each instance of a model, or lots of processing between begin- and endescene) or use DrawPrimitiveUP, but neither of those seem like they would be very fast. Also does anyone have any good links/books/resources for general DX8 rendering engine structure? Thanks

Advertisement
OK to begin with you will probably use 1 VB per model. For performance fewer is better, BUT it is better that you get used to using them first.

ALWAYS use Draw*Primitive NOT Draw*PrimitiveUP. Search the forum for about a dozen reasons why.

For MD2 I would concentrate on loading the data first (It should probably fit into a single VB) and drawing it onscreen. Worry about interpolating later (I used a vertex shader, but there are other methods).

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

[edited by - thedo on September 12, 2002 2:26:16 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!