OpenGL vs. DirectDraw

Started by
5 comments, last by DarkEcclipse 24 years ago
Hey all, What are the differences between OpenGL and DirecX; specifically DirectDraw or Direct3D in an isometric game? I heard that Diablo 2 could support OpenGL, but I don''t completely see how. DarkEcclipse...
DarkEcclipse...
Advertisement
Hi,
I don''t know programming in OpenGL, but I think it could speed up drawing. You should check out this article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/isotile/article935.asp that shows how Direct3D can speed up drawing.
bye

Octavian
e-mail: octavsoft@octavsoft.freeservers.com
webpag: octavsoft.freeservers.com
OctavianE-mail: [email=octav@octavsoft.com]octav@octavsoft.com[/email]Webpage: http://www.octavsoft.com
OpenGL is basically for 3D only. Its not a good idea to use it for a 2D game, which most isometric games primarily are. And DirectDraw IS 2D. So if you want to make a 2D game, then you are limited to DirectDraw.

Possibility
Well true, DrawPixels is meant to be very slow however I think the point was the idea that a Sprite could be thought off as a Textured Quad facing the camera using a Ortho projection matrix.

This way you get HW acceleration plus *free* scaling and rotation.
Live Long and Prosper
I don''t know about using OpenGL, I thought Diablo II was going to use Direct3D. Regardless, the only reason it is using a 3D API is for its fog and particle effects wich are accelerated when a 3D card is used.

So they will be using Direct3D or OpenGL only for the particle effects because the mentioned APIs take advantage of 3D acceleration.
Hello i have happen to have used all the apis you have listed and the diffrence between direct draw vs opengl and direct 3d is that it is used for pixel only operations such as blits and opengl and direct 3d are 3d apis

Edited by - Fuzzy_Logic on 4/9/00 11:48:31 PM

Edited by - Fuzzy_Logic on 4/9/00 11:49:08 PM
This was discussed quite a bit in another thread but as I recall Diablo II is supporting both OpenGL and D3D, as both are dominent 3D APIs. However, their use is limited (as noted above) to special effects. Diablo II is still at the heart a 2d tile engine.

Sieggy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement