Rects

Started by
6 comments, last by Hippokrates 21 years, 7 months ago
How can I check if 2 rects that look like this do intersect or something like that:

struct Point {
float x, y, z;
};

struct Rect {
Point UpperLeft;
Point UpperRight;
Point LowerLeft;
Point LowerRight;
};

I do need to know if an least one point of one of them is contained within the other or if the intersect someway.
Im Anfang war die Tat...Faust
Advertisement
Here''s a suggestion: First try to fiqure out the 1-dimensional case (if 2 ''horizontal lines'' intersect). Then try fiquring out the 2-dimensional case for rectangles. It''ll probably be easier to start that way.

I wonder why your point-struct has z-member even though you''re in 2 dimensions. Also, rectangle should only consist of 2 corners (the opposite ones) to keep it simple (alternatively you could use 1 point and width and height).

E.g
struct Point {float x, y;};struct Rect {Point UpperLeft;Point LowerRight;}; 
Who said I was in 2 Dimensions? If I were in 2 Dimensions I would not have this problem ;-).
I am in 3 dimensions all right.
A rect can be oriented in space, can`t it ?
Ok, seems like I misunderstood. As if that was something new

Well, a pretty straightforward (but maybe slow) way to test the intersection:

You have vectors that create the rectangle (only 3 is needed)

struct Rect {  Vector upperLeft, width, height;}  

Ok.. Then for the rectangle b you test if any of it's bounding lines intersect rectangle a:

bool rect2rectCollision(Rect &a, Rect &b) {  return (ray2RectCollision(a, b.upperLeft, width) ||           ray2RectCollision(a, b.upperLeft, height) ||           ray2RectCollision(a, b.upperLeft+width, height) ||           ray2RectCollision(a, b.upperLeft+height, width));}    

ray2RectCollision() takes these arguments:
1.rectangle (Rect &a)
2.where the ray begins (Vector &begin)
3.what direction the ray points at (Vector &dir). The ray's end is at begin+"where it points"

For ray2RectCollision(Rect &a, Vector &begin, Vector &dir)
you need to solve this equation (solvable variables are k, x and y, but you only need x and y):

begin + k * dir == a.upperLeft + x * a.width + y * a.height

And if 0<=x<=1 and 0<=y<=1, then return true, otherwise false. I solved that equation in Mathematica, but it's too long for me to write down here and you can do it yourself too

[edited by - civguy on September 13, 2002 10:48:31 AM]
Ay, this is a lot of math.
But what do you mean by " solve this equation: begin + k * dir == a.upperLeft + x * a.width + y * a.height" ?
I do of course know how to solve equations (as long as you keep em simple like 5x = 10 ).
But to what shall I solve this?
Do you know how to solve multiple equations?

{x * 2 = 2 * y + 1
{x + y = 3

There you can first solve x in the first equation:
x = y + 1/2
and then replace the x in the latter equation with that one:
(y + 1/2) + y = 3
And solve y. Then you can replace the y in the first equation with the number, and you have solved both x and y

Well,

begin + k * dir == a.upperLeft + x * a.width + y * a.height

is nothing but three equations, written as one . I''ll write it fully here:

{ begin.x + k * dir.x == a.upperLeft.x + x * a.width.x + y * a.height.x
{ begin.y + k * dir.y == a.upperLeft.y + x * a.width.y + y * a.height.y
{ begin.z + k * dir.z == a.upperLeft.z + x * a.width.z + y * a.height.z

Yup.. that''s 3 equations, where you need to solve 3 unknown variables, k, x and y (everythin else is known). You could start by solving ''k'' from the first equation, then replace the ''k'' value in the last two equations with the ''k'' you got in the first equation. Then solve x and put it''s solution in the last equation. And so on. Spend your night doing that and have a nice youth
Hmhm, I understand what to do!
;-)
So I have got to do something now
Whoops, I just realized something!
'k' must be 0<=k<=1 too. So the function ray2RectCollision() would be something like this:

bool ray2RectCollision(Rect &a, Vector &begin, Vector &dir) {  //solve k, x and y here :)  return (0<=k && k<=1 && 0<=x && x<=1 && 0<=y && y<=1);}    

Or if you want to optimize for speed

bool ray2RectCollision(Rect &a, Vector &begin, Vector &dir) {  //solve k here  if (k<0 || k>1) return false;  //solve x here  if (x<0 || x>1) return false;  //solve y here  return (0<=y && y<=1);}    

edit: perhaps with bool return type instead of void

[edited by - civguy on September 14, 2002 7:54:28 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement