• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deanolium

Midwinter Landscape

This topic is 5760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how the landscape for the old amiga/pc game "Midwinter" is done. Ie, I know that it must be procedurally created, but how did they do it? Does anyone know? I''ve tried playing about with Perlin noise, but it created a totally unsuitable landscape. (too big variation).

Advertisement
Did you try any other functions beside straight perlin noise? You could probably spend a lot of time messing around with various functions like fractal Brownian motion and Multi-fractals. You might be able to tailor-make a function that does almost exactly what you want. It isn''t exactly intuitive so be ready to mess around a lot. Try:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010302/oneil_pfv.htm
Its the only address I''ve got on me at the moment and you''ll need a membership (it''s free) but the author gives a decent introduction to dynamic algorithms. (He does it for Generating planetary bodies but I think you''ll find it interesting.) Especially messing around to get them to work for you.

Try this , there some ideas there to get you started. If I remember Midwinter, there was an area of the screen that showed the height of terrain as a grey scale image. I think it looked something like this:

which is taken from my own heightmap generator which produces this:

The terrain generator is based on the link above

Good luck

Don''t ask me, I''m just the code monkey

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!