Dual Magic Expenditure

Started by
20 comments, last by DuranStrife 21 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by DuranStrife
Finally, Sandman, the point of being able to restore your MP is to allow restoration of MP without using Ether/Mana Potions/Energy Potions/etc. If there''s one non-gameplay factor in RPGs that disgusts me, it''s being able to DRINK something to get more magical energy. Aside from the bathroom-related problems that will inevitably arise after your character has downed 50 doses of Beer of Mana Restoration (or whatever), magic-drinking is just flat-out a disgusting practice. When fighting the final boss in any Square game, my spellcasters spend all of their turns guzzling magic, whenever they''re not firing salvos of fireballs. My energy restoration system is at LEAST as balanced and twice as aesthetic as this abominable practice.

Sorry, but I really don''t agree with this. You may not like potions of instant mana restoration or whatever, but at least you can control the frequency of use - if you make them rare enough, the player will have be very careful when they choose to use them. Your spell can be used as often as the player likes, so it is a no brainer just to cast it after every fight, so you always have enough mp for the next one. You may as well not bother with a mana system at all if you include this spell, and just let the players cast as many spells as they feel like casting.

If you don''t like mana potions, don''t have them. But don''t introduce this spell either, because it will completely screw up your gameplay and make magic users extremely uninteresting to play.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by DuranStrife
Kylotan:
When characters get up to high levels, they will have a bit more MP than they strictly need. This is the joy of leveling. An example mildly high-level (Lvl. 40) Wizard has 753 MP and 168 SP under the DME system. A low-level (Lvl. 1) Wizard has only 9 MP and 9 SP. I''m sure that you''ll still dislike DME and all, but I fail to see how you can determine that it is unbalanced just by looking at my original post.

What is ''DME''? Is it some name you''ve given your system?

Your basic MP system is unbalanced because you give the players too many points relative to the weak spells and then add in a hack (SPs) to ensure they can''t really use them. With the hack of using 2 sets of points, it''s no longer unbalanced, it''s just unwieldy. It would be far more intuitive for most players, not to mention probably easier to balance the spells, to come up with a simpler system that doesn''t need multiple resources to keep it in check.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement