• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bretttido

ID3DXFont Clipping Problem

This topic is 5763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I've been using the ID3DXFont interface for text in my DirectX8 application. Everything works fine until part of the text exists outside of the window as this wonderful ascii art will illustrate:
   ---------
   |       |
   | Text1 |
   |       |
 Text2     |
   |       |
   ---------

As you can guess, Text1 displays just fine, however Text2 exhibits odd clipping problems. It seems to clip the text from the left side of the screen in increments of 64 pixels from the leftside of the text. No problems occur, however, when the text extends past the right side of the screen though. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? Or have an idea as to how to get around this? Thanks Brett [edited by - Bretttido on September 12, 2002 9:41:46 PM] [edited by - Bretttido on September 12, 2002 9:42:41 PM]

Advertisement
I''m thinking it could be possible to first draw the text onto a texture and simply display a quad with the given texture.

A somewhat unrelated question: What is the difference between a texture and a surface? When should you use which? I can''t really find much useful information about them in the DirectX documentation... maybe I''m looking in the wrong places though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!