it's framework again

Started by
7 comments, last by jimmy_bbq 21 years, 7 months ago
if I draw the architecture and all the spcifications of a game on a piece of paper, can I call it a framework? Must we do programming to design a game framework? Thanks.
Advertisement
not sure why this matters, but i think if you design it on paper, it will be a game-framework-in-design-stage. when you actually code it, it will be a game-framework-in-implentation-stage. does that help? =I

---
shurcool
wwdev
so the meaning of "framework" is wide.
It can be almost everything.
Thanks for your explanation.
It does help a little.

can I use game authoring tool to build a game framework?
so the meaning of "framework" is wide.
It can be almost everything.
Thanks for your explanation.
It does help a little.

can I use game authoring tool to build a game framework?
I think you are mixing terms here. A game doesn't have an architecture per se, the system the game runs on does.

You are referring to a Design Document, it sounds like. Which contains the specifications used to develop the source code. The purpose of the Design Doc is so the programmer has a blueprint to work from when coding and allows a chance to catch errors or faulty logic before the coding starts.

I suppose UML diagrams and Design Docs could be called a framework, but usually a framework is an application layer that other application code runs off of(i.e. ultilizes).

So to answer your question, yes, a framework involves programming.

"Wisdom is proportionate to your reference base. Intelligence is the ability to appropriately use that Wisdom."

[edited by - Leathrewulfe on September 13, 2002 12:47:27 AM]
"Wisdom is proportionate to your reference base. Intelligence is the ability to appropriately use that Wisdom."
do you have any example of a game framework that I can download.
I need to see the real thing to get a better idea of it.

[edited by - jimmy_bbq on September 14, 2002 9:37:43 PM]
All the examples I''ve seen of "frameworks" are a set of general code that is used as a starting point for specific implementations. If you have Visual C++, then the set of code created by an MFC app-wizard is a framework, which you then modify to do something specific.

Likewise, the DirectX app-wizard spits out something that could be viewed as a framework. A starting point that includes common functionality for Direct3D applications, but nothing specific. basically enough to set up a window and maybe a teapot if you so choose.

Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.
Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.
Proxima Rebellion - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
BS-er is right. Framework is a High granularity software artifact. Is something bigger than functions, or Objects. Is one degree up in reusability.

If brute force does not solve your problem....you''re not using enough!
If brute force does not solve your problem....you're not using enough!
I''m intrigued as to why you are obsessed with what a framework is.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement