• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyberdrek

Strange STL problem.

This topic is 5915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I code STL using M$haft's version, the string type is in the std namespace. When tell my compiler to use the SGI implementation that I downloaded, MSVC tells me that string is not defined in the std namespace. Yet, if I check the string header, the __STL_BEGIN_NAMESPACE (which is declared as namespace std{ in stl_config.h, which in turn is the first file included in the string header ) declaration is there. Anybody has any idea how to solve this??? Cyberdrek [edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 3, 2002 10:12:36 PM]

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Stoffel
Nice use of M$.

Thanks but that didn''t answer my question. Anybody has any clue as to why MSVC would give me that problem??? I''m sorta fscked about that. Is it an MSVC problem with the SGI STL or would that be fixed with a Visual Studio SP( as I don''t have any installed since I''m on a 56k connection )...

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]

I''m guessing that you need to setup the correct #defines for the SGI STL to work with MS Dev correctly. You might want to check out the documentation on the SGI STL

Guest Anonymous Poster
I know exactly the problem you''re experiencing here; I had to deal with it when I first moved away from MS'' buggy STL implementation (ironic that STLPort, and others, do a better job than the native STL at dealing with VC++''s personality quirks).

But I refuse to tell you until you take off that ridiculous .sig.

Ok, that''s it. Whoever''s a friggin moderator just fucking ban those sigs.

I''ll mail you a chocolate chip cookie.

Really.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
ironic that STLPort, and others, do a better job than the native STL at dealing with VC++''s personality quirks.

It''s not ironic. The "native" STL implementation for MSVC is provided by Dinkumware, and P.J. Plaugher has said that a lot of that code was written against a moving target of a draft of the ANSI C++ Standard. STLPort et al came after the standard was nailed down and Dinkumware''s implementation had highlighted MSVC shortcomings. You know, that whole "shoulders of giants" thing.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I know exactly the problem you''re experiencing here; I had to deal with it when I first moved away from MS'' buggy STL implementation (ironic that STLPort, and others, do a better job than the native STL at dealing with VC++''s personality quirks).

But I refuse to tell you until you take off that ridiculous .sig.

It''s a free country... I''m free to put what ever sig I want. Wether you like it or not. I''ve never seen so many babies all in the same area...

( boo hoo hoo, I don''t like your sig so I don''t answer... ) Some community...

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
It''s not ironic. The "native" STL implementation for MSVC is provided by Dinkumware, and P.J. Plaugher has said that a lot of that code was written against a moving target of a draft of the ANSI C++ Standard. STLPort et al came after the standard was nailed down and Dinkumware''s implementation had highlighted MSVC shortcomings. You know, that whole "shoulders of giants" thing.

Nice but did you ever get my problem before. I know you''re a big fan of STL...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!