• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frankie68

No search, but how to use 2d fonts as fast as possible?

This topic is 5941 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am affraid that this question has been asked before (it is a rather simple one), but I really want an aswer, so please don''t flame me. What is the best way to use 2d fonts? Up to now I use fonts on a quad (textured) and place them using a ortho-projection-matrix on the screen. But there are in fact two more ways, wich one will be the fastes of the three stated here, or is there an other (faster) way? * Using glRaterPos(...) (again in an ortho-matrix) and use glBitmap(...), is rather slow (I guess) because there is a lot of traffic from CPU-memory to Video-memory. * Or make 3d chars (using the wgl-Function (windows)) and place them corectly on the screen. But you have got a lot of extra calculations (3d). The main advantage of the second one is that you don''t have to use alpha blending (time consuming). But I guess that this is a common question and there is a really good solution... Thanks up front.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!