what an RPG really is

Started by
54 comments, last by Shambles 21 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by MadKeithV
No, AD&D was a pen-and-paper system, followed by AD&D 2nd Edition, now followed by 3rd Edition (called D&D again, just to confuse people).

But the first widely accepted computer implementations emerged with the AD&D 2nd Edition rules.

I think the first computer game was an "rpg" of sorts - Hack the amulet of Yendor in fact. A rogue-like game (somewhat like diablo).

I see. Well arn''t these rogue-like games the best interpretation of D&D (and therefore RPG)? Since that is the actual goal D&D tried to achive in the 70s?
"Everything has a reason."
Advertisement
Is the Ford T the best implementation of the car because it was "first"? (I know it wasn''t, but the analogy serves).

Roleplaying evolved from wargaming. D&D was the first to be called Roleplaying, but it didn''t stop evolving. In the end, D&D is a very poor role-playing game, and has been improved significantly since in newer editions and by other designers (check out the multitude of other systems, such as the World of Darkness, Earthdawn, MERPS, GURPS, Warhammer FRP, Ars Magica,...)
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by iNfuSeD
no but u see.. rpg''s are nothing more then playing a role of someone else..

I''ve found that the acronym is more symbolic than anything.. Playing the role of someone else can range from playing super mario bros. for the NES, to the any other game in which you control other characters.
quote:Original post by Shambles
In closing..
RPG = type of gameplay which doesn''t require a ''Japanese Epic'' type of story.

WTF?

By your logic, Tetris is an RPG. I think this conclusively proves that your definition is stupid.

There are two basic definitions for an RPG - the computer industry standard definition, and the roleplayers definition.

Computer Industry Definition: Any strongly story based game which involves a large number of ''stats'' and quite possibly ''levelling''. Also, anything that vaguely involves goblins, orcs, wizards or elves probably belongs at least partly in this category.

Roleplayers Definition: A game in which the player assumes the role of a character, and develops that character in a believable way. Usually, a good story will provide the backdrop and motivation for the development of this character, as well as testing the player to see how well he can fit into his chosen ''role''.

Note that since the first one does not necessarily include roleplaying, it is not a terribly good definition of a game genre known as Role Play Games. Sadly, it is probably the more widely used definition of the two.
Is the Ford T the best implementation of the car because it was "first"? (I know it wasn't, but the analogy serves).

Roleplaying evolved from wargaming. D&D was the first to be called Roleplaying, but it didn't stop evolving. In the end, D&D is a very poor role-playing game, and has been improved significantly since in newer editions and by other designers (check out the multitude of other systems, such as the World of Darkness, Earthdawn, MERPS, GURPS, Warhammer FRP, Ars Magica,...)

I dont know a thing about old cars so you got me there .
But the goal D&D set didn't seem like wargamming. D&D tried to simulate a scenario where a party of heroes are faced with a task or quest. The old 'Japanese RPGs' used a sort of a enemy party vs. player party scheme where the characters had static positions and could not really move or have their attack points decreased from attacking the enemy at angles which had walls in the way. What I mean to say is, RPG should really be a name for that 'type' of battle system which I'm sure the games you listed evolved from. Perhaps I should have communicated this in my first post...

[edited by - Shambles on September 13, 2002 10:43:47 AM]
I''ve found that the acronym is more symbolic than anything.. Playing the role of someone else can range from playing super mario bros. for the NES, to the any other game in which you control other characters.

controlling a lil mario on the screen an jumping around on mushrooms is quite different from what role playing is. role playing is where u become the other character. u live in the fictional world as that character. you train that character. you go about your daily routines as that character. you ARE that character. digital RPG''s try to emulate this as much as they can. with the limited power of old computers, it is understandable why they couldn''t even come close, only thing is they haven''t evolved to emulate it any further at all. rpgs today are built off the same frame work that was set up in the age of the NES and are evolving more an more into what i would consider interactive movies/novels

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
I think the first computer game was an "rpg" of sorts - Hack the amulet of Yendor in fact. A rogue-like game (somewhat like diablo).

Erm, you meant to say "Rogue", right? That''s where the term "rogue-like" came from. Hack, Temple of Apshai, Diablo, Fallout, Ultima, etc... originated from that point.

As far as I''m concerned, if you''re looking for more of a "role-playing" experience on the computer, you''re most likely to find that in some of the better Interactive Fiction titles out there. If you can stand to play games with prose instead of graphics, check out some of the more recent (all freeware) stuff out there like Photopia, So Far, Spider and the Web, etc.

For Mother GameDev!
RPG should really be a name for that ''type'' of battle system which I''m sure the games you listed evolved from.

In a word, no.

RPGs have a multitude of battle systems (both CRPGs and pen and paper).

It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by Sandman
By your logic, Tetris is an RPG. I think this conclusively proves that your definition is stupid.

Sorry, I should be more clear... When I say "type of gameplay" I mean a whole individual type of gameplay which came from D&D.
Sorry, I should be more clear... When I say "type of gameplay" I mean a whole individual type of gameplay which came from D&D.

...you mean the whole ''taking on the role of a character'' gameplay?

Or are you trying to suggest that RPG == hack and slash?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement