• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nada9

What´s the best 3D engine for me?

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What´s the best 3D engine for me? I want to do interactive achitecture visualisation and network enabled 3D games. I would like to use Java as a programming language but am prepared to learn C++. Crucial to me are: - Graphics quality, features and performance - Network features and performance Nice to have would be: - Easy distribution ( eg. browser plugin ) - Special features ( physics engine, non photorealistic rendering ) Things I have heard about and found interesting so far are: - Unreal Engine - 3D GameStudio ( looks a little semi-professional ) - Wild Tangent ( missing a lot of features ) Please give me some suggestion and some pros and cons! Thanks in advance Andreas Thölke

Advertisement
IMHO, if you need an engine to provide you a known set of features, its best to make your own. Its probably harder to manipulate some one else''s engine to do your bidding than to write your own. But if you find an engine that completely suits your needs, go ahead and use it.

Oh, and try crystal space...(look for it in search engine, im not sure of the URL).

I want to do interactive achitecture visualisation and network enabled 3D games.

Well I think those have seperate requirements...

for the 3d games-
crystal space, ogre, nebula, irrlicht etc...

for the architectural visualisation even though a browser based solution would probably be suitable (java3d based) it would not be realtime and/or the graphics quality would be low.

[edited by - kuladus on February 26, 2004 10:50:41 PM]

Ogre is quite good, but it doesnt have any networking support - its purely a graphics engine. Ogre has good documentation and is supported by a large community, and is open-source under the LGPL licence. (Basically this means you dont need to release your own source if you use OGRE, but check out the licence on the website for full details).

Irrlicht is a similar principle, a graphics only engine, and has some fairly simple tutorials and examples that are good to get less proficient programmers started, but is still in its infancy, and so is lacking some features. There are also some good tutorials for binding it to other libraries for sound, networking, etc. Irrlicht is also an open-source project, but I'm not sure what licence it's released under.

Crystal Space is a full games engine, including netorking, sound, physics, graphics - basically everything you need for a game. Crystal Space is open-sourced, and use a licence based on the LPGL which can be viewed at the website. I've never tried Crystal Space due to lack of documentation, but I've heard from various sources that its a good engine, while others claim its buggy and slow.

The Torque is a commercial game engine, but licencing is fairly cheap.

[edited by - kazgoroth on February 27, 2004 2:10:00 AM]

For pure ease of getting a 3D world up and running, I''d recommend Irrlicht... it''s designed to be fast and easy.

Since you mentioned networked games, though, I''d recommend Torque. $100 for a license to a small-budget developer. My understanding (I don''t own a license) is that it''s pretty much a networked game just awaiting content. It also includes its own scripting language, so you don''t really have to program low-level code to modify the underlying engine if you aren''t doing anything unusual.

I think everything else mentioned here is a good bet... though I''m not quite so impressed with Crystal Space.

I and my cohort in this game design and development mess are about to purchase licenses for Torque, and we''re pretty wired about it. From all we''ve read about it, the sample code, the tutorials, etc, it looks like a seriously solid solution for those, like us, who don''t necessarily want to write our own engine for our first couple of games. It''s cheap at only $100, and you get GREAT support from the team at GarageGames.com as a part of that package.

win32codemonkey - Programmer. Gamer.
"This isn''t really happening, it only thinks it''s happening..." Flynn - Tron
find_object(enemy)->frag();

Good to hear it win32codemonkey - if you dont mind could you let us know your thoughts on Torque once you''ve actually used it for a while?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!