What´s the best 3D engine for me?

Started by
2 comments, last by nada9 21 years, 7 months ago
I want to do interactive achitecture visualisation and network enabled 3D games. I would like to use Java as a programming language but am prepared to learn C++. Crucial to me are: - Graphics quality, features and performance - Network features and performance Nice to have would be: - Easy distribution ( eg. browser plugin ) - Special features ( physics engine, non photorealistic rendering ) Things I have heard about and found interesting so far are: - Unreal Engine - 3D GameStudio ( looks a little semi-professional ) - Wild Tangent ( missing a lot of features ) Please give me some suggestion and some pros and cons! Thanks in advance Andreas Thölke
Advertisement
step1: learn c++

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
check out OGRE or the Nebula device. Both are open source freeware engines. While they are both C++ based, they are both multi-platform, and have reasonably good documentation (especially OGRE).

OGRE also has a python version of the engine, though apparently it is lagging behind the C++ version, but if you know Java it won''t be too much of a stretch to learn C++. The greatest strength in my mind about OGRE is its flexibility, however, I do not believe there is any networked capability but you''ll have to go through the API docs to be certain.

The Nebula Device does have a network class built in if I remember correctly, so perhaps this may be more up your alley. It is a professionally designed engine, and is the basis for the engine used in the game "Project Nomads"

http://ogre.sourceforge.net
http://www.radonlabs.de
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
Or try CrystalSpace. It''s really cross-platform and it supports software and hardware rendering.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement