• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fluke

image tearing in direct x

This topic is 5759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m doing a top-down game and the approach i took with this was simple, but apparently a not so efficient one. I have a huge bitmap that represents my ''world''. During game_init() I load the whole thing the a surface and as left, right, up or down are pressed, i simply move the ''viewable rectangle'' around. in other words, the direction requested determines the rect.top and rect.left and to get the right and bottom i just add teh screen with and screen height to the left and top coords respectiveley. when i run this full screen, i see waves (tearing), so i need to know how to solve this. my game isn''t tile based because each environment section is too unique to use general purpose tiles. that may be my downfall, but i wanted to get some feedback before i rethink my approach this time. would it help to split the entire bitmap into like 24 smaller ones? and if so, would i still load them all to the back surface at once? i think that would probaly have the same effect, but i''m not sure. thanks!

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Couple things to consider:

Are you using a back-buffer?

If you are, are you using g_primary->Flip()?

The V-Sync refresh coming during a blit operation causes tearing.

I think your moving the wrong RECTangle, when you move the blitting RECTangle in DirectDraw you get that effect too.

-loadin it in pieces is more work, i'd say...

Tell me if it helped...

[edited by - pipo declown on September 14, 2002 6:52:50 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!