UML (or other) analysis methods in game development?

Started by
18 comments, last by jalaine 24 years ago
Hi! I''m not sure wether I should be asking this here or in the programming section.. But as this sure isn''t a programming topic. (okay, I should put it in the general area, but as I already started it here.. I''m sorry ) Anyway, here it comes: Do you think stuff like UML or SA/SD methods could be used in game development? Are they already being used somewhere? Jarkko
Advertisement
UML is a great tool for development when everybody can''t get together. I have heard that some of teh game development companies are using it. Blizzard is one that comes to mind.
As long as you dont think you need to use all of UML, its great. Unfortunate that the SW packages that provide UML functionality are either $3,000 or else totally annoying to use because they are written in Java (and Java interfaces for Windows is just horrid and slow).

-Geoff
I''m just learing UML for a project I''m starting (see link below) but I have found it quite helpful so far! It really helps to organize your coding and design ideas. The only part that I use is the class view... the other parts are more useful for other types of distributed applications and such (and might be more helpful for a multiplayer game... I dunno) At any rate, you can check out my site if you want to see some UML in action

Check out the GPI project today!
Thanks guys! Chippydip, did you use a CASE tool for creating the class diagrams, or just a drawing program. They look very nice. I''ve been using this program called Metaedit+ at school. It''s free for Linux, but the Windows version is expensive. And it''s UI is terrible.

Jarkko
quote:Original post by jalaine

Thanks guys! Chippydip, did you use a CASE tool for creating the class diagrams, or just a drawing program. They look very nice. I''ve been using this program called Metaedit+ at school. It''s free for Linux, but the Windows version is expensive. And it''s UI is terrible.

Jarkko

He''s using the free student version of Rational Rose. I know because I have already talked a great deal with him about his project.

I just did a search on "UML" and "Free" on yahoo and came up with some 6000+ links. The two noted below seems rather promising and I might download and try them out once i get time:

SOFTTEAM: http://www.objecteering.com/us/
(free personal edition)
ArgoUML: http://argouml.tigris.org/
(looks cool, Open Source, but all writen in Java)

I didn''t care to go through the whole list. If someone knows any free UML tools which is better than the student version provided by Rational Rose, then please let me know.

Regards

nicba
UML is great! We have all been drawing class diagrams before (hopefully) and UML just makes sure that we can understand each others diagrams while make a standard for many more diagram types.

I have not experience using automated UML tools, but as a simple drawing standard UML is excellent. I am also using it on my current project.
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
nicba: actually, I''m using the trial version of Ration Rose 2000 right now b/c it lets me do the coloring and stuff that the older free version doesn''t... if anyone finds a good *free* UML tool (or at least inexpensive) I''d really like to know! Especially if it allows you to change the style of the diagrams.

Where can I find this Ration Rose 2000?

Jarkko
Here''s the dl page... you should be able to find it on one of the links there

http://www.rational.com/products/rose/gstart/online.jtmpl

I also got another program today called Together 3. You can get the "white board" edition for free, no strings attached. It is a Java program so its a little slow, but I only notice it when I maximize the window and the whole thing needs to be redrawn. Anyway, it does pretty diagrams as well and makes code generation a snap. The only big drawback is that the GIF output is disabled (and you cant'' copy the pictures to the clipboard) but I''ve found that screen shots are Paint Shop Pro are a fine substitue... If you are interested you can get it here:

http://www.togethersoft.com/downloads/register.htm

If anyone else can find anything better that would be really cool, but I have a feeling this might be a bout as good as it gets for free programs... I''ll keep looking, though

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement