• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha_ProgDes

Good 3rd Project.....

This topic is 5853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I doing a small text based game and the mighty Tetris (though I admit maybe Pong would have been a better start). But after I finished those two which won''t be too much longer, what would be a good 3rd project? Should I try to make a 3D game from scratch? another 2D game? or a mod? I hear so many people talk about them and the fact that they are easy (even easier than doing your own game from scratch). So I just wanted some advice. Thanks to all in advance Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element at mutedfaith.com. <º>

Advertisement
Do pacman and then marios bros (will teach you about side scrolling games).

Then make your own 2D game of any choice, and only then move onto 3D.

You can still use DirectX even for 2D games, but it''s the concept of thigns and the type of data structures you need, and the way you are going about programming the game from "concept."

-G|aD-

3D games require A LOT more designing and coding than do 2D games, and making a 2D game will give you a better understanding and experience in making your games as flawless as possible.

A good route: text based game, pong, tetris, pacman, marios bros, something more advanced (i.e. 3D game).

Btw, if you''d like your 3D games to have multiplayer options (who doesn''t?) then I suggest learning about it while working on a 2D game to get a better understanding, and make your life much easier.

If you start with a 3D game, learning all the new concepts at the same time will be overwhelming if you don''t have any experience at 2D game programming.

Make sure you finish every project you start!

-G|aD-

ok thanks.
but one question?
what is easier doing a mod or making a 3D game from scratch?
NO i will not be doing this, i''m following your advice, but i just wanted to know.

Making a mod:
PROS:
-The game engine is already there
-You can cut/copy/paste code that''s already there
-You are prone to find many tutorials
CONS:
-Once you''re done, all you know is the engine, not 3D
-The engine is sometimes hard to learn
-You have a limited range of games possible

Making a game from scratch:
PROS:
-You can include any feature you want in your engine
-It''s really ''your'' game from ''your'' imagination
-You will learn useful things for your next game
CONS:
-You''ll have a hard time creating a good engine
-You have to take care aout low-level stuff
(For instance loading the maps)
-You''ll find few tutorials explaining what YOU need
(For instance, calling D3DXCreateTextureFromResource from a dll containing the resource... took me 12 posts on a d3dx newsgroup to solve that one)

Good luck for your next game!
Cheers, ToohrVyk

MOD would be easier if there''s a good documentation on the SDK (take half-life for example). In the case of completely re-MOD-ing a game you get to write your game code, but the internal engine is the same as the one in the original game (same as using Genesis 3D to make a game instead of making your own 3D engine with DirectX/OpenGL).

Hope this gives you a good idea of some MOD constructs and what MOD-ing actually is.

But to answer your question, MOD-ing is usually easier.

-G|aD-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!